A History of the Tinnu Uin Galadhrim

(1/2) > >>

Digger:
Dear Kin and Friends,

This is a quick note to suggest that we might wish to start a history of our kinship and achievements.  We could note current members, special member achievements, great times, events, and many other bits of lore and information that will, over time, become our history - the story of the Tinnu Uin Galadhrim.

What do you think?  How might we most easily do this without burdening one member with it all?  Do we all know the date of our founding?  Do we know how many members presently?  Who slew the Dragon and when?  How do we capture this and preserve our story?

Cheers,
Digger Goodsong

Imara:
I think a good start would be in character postings (journals and such maybe) of big events as people feel like putting them up now and then, I do this on alot of the other RPGs I play and it tends to work out pretty well, just a suggestion.  Definitely for big events save screenshots and have somewhere to post them maybe with captions and the like.

Orophor:
I've actually been working a bit on this for about a week. Besides Lillassea, Tyrlian and Hylar, the original six people (not including alts) were myself, Retribute and Hosklar. Lillassea founded the kinship on May 2, 2007. Our website was up on May 3, 2007 and these forums started on May 6, 2007.

Calendula of the LotRO RP Haven asked me a series of questions that I am still in the process of writing answers to. I think her questions are a good starting point for the sort of document of the history of our kinship. I'll share more with you all when I have it.

Orophor:
I should ban myself for double-posting  >:( , but here is the first draft of the response to Calendula. Please review and comment so I can get this final and send it back to her.

Hello Calendula,

Thank you for your site and the Evening Star. I am happy to answer your questions. Drafting a response took a little longer than I would have liked, but I wanted to get input from the kinship which was hopefully worth the wait.

1. Who founded the Kinship?

Lillassea Ornendil Dath'anar is the Brandir or Founder of our band. She has a gifted understanding of Sindarin and has been a part of other Tolkien fan efforts like theonering.com as well as other MMOs like World of Warcraft. Due to her busy schedule, she named me (Orophor) leader in her absence. I would gladly return the kinship to her leadership, and I do my best to make it as healthy and fun as it can be, while keeping true to the spirit Lillassea founded it with.

2. Where did the name  "Tinnu uin Galadhrim" come from?

Tinnu uin Galadhrim means "Twilight of the Sylvan Elves." It refers to the foretelling of the fate of the Quendi to fade and withdraw to the West when the Atani have reached their full bloom, learning all that they may from the Eldar and the corruption of Morgoth the Great Enemy has been cleansed of Arda. Our kin believe that fate is near, and our name reminds us there is much to do in the hours we have left.

3. How did the Kinship get started in game?

Lillassea and our first two officers Tyrlian and Hylar started our kinship just after the launch of the game on May 2, 2007. From there role-play and questing with other like-minded players formed the first core members, like myself. That is how we have grown as well, by meeting others in-game that role-play and have an interest in Professor Tolkien's elves.

4. How did the Kinship get started IC -- is there a background story
behind its founding?

Tinnu uin Galadhrim is a band of elves and elf-friends that are enemies of the Shadow. We shall not forsake Middle-earth, nor shall we abandon the Edain to the darkness. It is through our kinship that we may band together, sharing our strength and carrying the Light of the West with us to battle the orcs, trolls and other enemies of the free people of Arda. Lillassea foresaw that the hour of need was at hand, so she called to herself those of like mind and skill to take up the cause one last time ere we depart for Aman.

5. What goals does the Kinship have gameplay-wise?

Our goals are to have a fun, relaxed and supportive kinship, like a happy family in LotRO. We balance role-playing and questing, to encourage both but require neither. Most of us are great fans of Professor Tolkien's work, and often we discuss or debate parts of his world, it's people, languages, and lands. Members also often help each other with quests and crafting. Because we have no minimum level or time commitment to join, our focus tends to be in small fellowships as opposed to the large numbers needed in raids and monster-play. For the most part we take things slow, enjoying the world we play in and savoring it as we progress along in it.

6. What sort of goals does the Kinship have IC?

First above all is friendship, for joy is the greatest proof against shadow. We wish to preserve elven lore and craft, sharing it with the other races so that the eldest ages are not forgotten in the times to come. Likewise we wish to heal the corruption of Arda left by Morgoth and his agents. Sauron was but a lieutenant to that first Dark Lord and the seeds he tends were sown by his master. We would see his designs of hate and envy ended before we leave this land to the Atani.

7. What sort of gaming and/or roleplaying background do members of the
Kinship have?

It varies widely. Some like myself have been gamers for decades with table-top war-games, ole-playing games like Middle-Earth Role-Playing (MERP) and Dungeons and Dragons, to text based MUDs and DOS games through to todays modern games like Neverwinter Nights and Lord of the Rings Online. Others are younger and more of the purely graphical MMO players. Some are older, and not really gamers in the usual sense, but Tolkien fans that couldn't resist being able to walk in the Shire or talk with Gandalf. With such a broad range our role-play can be a bit eclectic at times, but we always try to have fun and not take things too seriously.

8. What sort of roleplay does the Kinship partake in?  Forum-based or in
game, story-based or free-form, etc.

We try a little of all forms. Most of our role-play tends to be in-game and free-form though we are open to stories and Forum role-play.

9. Where might other players find the Kinship roleplaying?

With the wide range of levels in our kin (level 2 and level 50) we tend to be spread out, though there are often at least one or two of us role-playing around Imladris since eventually every elf learns the secret ways into Lord Elrond's valley. With a few weeks of planning, we get together and role-play at events, like the Gathering of Kin that Digger Goodsong hosted at the Party Tree last weekend.

10. How many members are presently in the Kinship?

Currently there are 58 members, though some are alts of the same main players and not all are active at the moment. In the past week 34 have been signed onto our server Nimrodel.

11. Is the Kinship accepting new members? If so, what kind of members are
you looking for? Do you have any restrictions?

We accept new members on an individual basis. We welcome people that share our balanced view of the game and life, that have fun as elves and elf-friends in Arda, role-playing and questing in a small and informal kinship. We have no restrictions in terms of races, classes, levels or playtimes, all that we ask is that your character is elven or an elf-friend to support the background of the kinship.

12. Which channels do the Kinship designate as IC or OOC (Kinship,
Fellowship, Trade, Advice, Regional, etc)

There isn't a hard and fast rule for us, it has more to do with common sense and what can be imagined in character or not. So sometimes advice or trade is given in character, as well as kinship chat. The only guide that I think we all would agree to is that /say is always considered in-character unless the text is enclosed in double parentheses ((like this)) and that /ooc is always OOC. I know many of us have wished for the ability to make more IC channels, but till such an ability exists we use the channels we have and tend to stay as in-character as possible. Of course there are always exceptions to this and we are fine with that. :)

13. How would you describe the Kinship's ambience? What might people
expect if they joined the Kinship for a week?

We try to be friendly, helpful and informal. Sometimes we plan an event and all participate, but most of the time we find our adventures where we may in an ad-hoc way as kin are able to join together. This allows us to be flexible and have fun whenever and wherever we have the time to come and play in LotRO.

14. Does Tinnu Uin Galadhrim have any Kinship or Player Character pages in
the LOTRO Lorebook we might point to?

Since the write-access to the Lorebook was granted only recently, we have not yet completed pages in it, though we have an active web-site and forum of our own at http://tinnu-uin-gladhrim.com and in the future we will likely add material from our site to the Lorebook.

On 7/13/07, Calendula < calendula@lotrorphaven.com> wrote:

Greetings, Orophor!

I'm following up on Tinnu Uin Galadhrim's entry on the LOTRO RPHaven
    Kinship Registry:

We feature a different RP Kinship on our front page every month,  and I
    wondered if you might be interested in having Tinnu Uin Galadhrim be our
    "featured RP Kinship" for this month. It would involve a short interview
    of 14 questions on both IC and OOC information.

Would Tinnu Uin Galadhrim perhaps be interested and agreeable to this? If
    so, we would like to write up an article from your answers to the
    questions below and run it by you before publishing it.

1. Who founded the Kinship?
    2. Where did the name  "Tinnu Uin Galadhrim" come from?
    3. How did the Kinship get started in game?
    4. How did the Kinship get started IC -- is there a background story
    behind its founding?
    5. What goals does the Kinship have gameplay-wise?
    6. What sort of goals does the Kinship have IC?
    7. What sort of gaming and/or roleplaying background do members of the
    Kinship have?
    8. What sort of roleplay does the Kinship partake in?  Forum-based or in
    game, story-based or free-form, etc.
    9. Where might other players find the Kinship roleplaying?
    10. How many members are presently in the Kinship?
    11. Is the Kinship accepting new members? If so, what kind of members are
    you looking for? Do you have any restrictions?
    12. Which channels do the Kinship designate as IC or OOC (Kinship,
    Fellowship, Trade, Advice, Regional, etc)
    13. How would you describe the Kinship's ambience? What might people
    expect if they joined the Kinship for a week?
    14. Does Tinnu Uin Galadhrim have any Kinship or Player Character pages in
    the LOTRO Lorebook we might point to?

Thank you for your time!
    --
    Calendula
    Site Administrator and Bearer of Cookies
    Lord of the Rings Online Roleplayers Haven
    www.LotRORPHaven.com

Hosklar:
Well done Orophor.  I do believe that was a great representation of our beloved kinship.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page