A funny thing happened on the way to Tamriel...

(1/2) > >>

Kethrandir:
Suilad mellyn!

An unexpected cold this past weekend provided a silver lining:  gaming time!  I already had the ESO beta installed and patched, so the timing couldn't have been better!  I had an Aldmeri Nightblade up to level 4 already (Kethrandir), so I played him a little bit on Friday.  I also rolled an Aldmeri Sorcerer named Keth... -something, which I played Friday evening and for a little while Saturday morning.  As Baridoc and others here have mentioned, there were some bugged quests and other issues.  There were also the usual 'getting to know the interface' and other 'new game' issues that took/are taking some getting used to.  Overall, though, I had a lot of fun.  The landscapes and graphics are beautiful, the combat mechanics are well-done overall, and the character creation process (an important one for me) is great.  I really love playing Skyrim, and ESO has carried forward a number of elements from that game which I appreciated.

LotRO was my first MMO, so it is the standard against which I compare all other MMOs.  Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and Dragon Age Origins are my primary single-player RPGs, so they are the standards against which I compare single-player RPGs.  ESO potentially bridges those two genres for me.  But unexpectedly, I found myself thinking two things during most of my time in ESO beta:  'I should play Skyrim more!' and 'I should roll a burglar in LotRO!'  I started with the burglar first...

...and never got to Skyrim.  In short, this past weekend I completely fell back in love with LotRO.  I researched a proper Sindarin name for my male Gondorian burglar (Dinenglir, 'silent song'), role-played my way through every starter quest, purchased a Stone of the Tortoise (the XP Disabler, from the LotRO Store), and basically adventured far and wide throughout the Bree-lands all weekend.  Many of my fondest memories from my early days in Middle Earth came flooding right back.  The music, the sounds, the characters, the storyline, the rich open landscapes, the foredawn glow... all of it just felt so right.  I've always enjoyed playing LotRO, and I've been logging in most weekdays over the past several months leveling various alts, but this felt like picking up and rereading an old beloved book.  Familiar and comforting and yet unexpectedly rejuvenating!

I know I'll continue to enjoy Skyrim, and ESO looks like it'll be a great game as well.  If I were starting out fresh in the MMO world, ESO would probably be where I'd devote much of my time.  But LotRO is where my heart is, and that is where I'll likely continue to make my home.  RL duties will continue to take precedent for me and the rest of us, I'm sure.  But I expect I'll remain in Middle Earth for as long as I'm welcome, and I hope to continue seeing you all upon the roads and fields of Eriador and Rhovanion in the months and years ahead.  To those who've already spent some time away or who may do so in the coming months:  The lights in the Tinnu kinhall will always be lit for your return.  The twilight of the Galadhrim has not yet given way to darkness!

Your friend in Falathlorn,
Keth

Baridoc:
Quote from: Kethrandir on March 18, 2014, 10:46:47 AM

But LotRO is where my heart is, and that is where I'll likely continue to make my home.  RL duties will continue to take precedent for me and the rest of us, I'm sure.  But I expect I'll remain in Middle Earth for as long as I'm welcome, and I hope to continue seeing you all upon the roads and fields of Eriador and Rhovanion in the months and years ahead.  To those who've already spent some time away or who may do so in the coming months:  The lights in the Tinnu kinhall will always be lit for your return.  The twilight of the Galadhrim has not yet given way to darkness!

I agree with you completely, dearest friend. And I will never stray far from Middle-earth, believe me. ESO looks to be a lot of fun and I think we'll enjoy the group activities and dungeons. But I will be there, banging on that black gate when we storm into Mordor.

And hey! A new class soon!!! *does a Hobbity dance*

Love....
Bari......

Digger:
I enjoyed the beta test and discovered several things that need repairs.  I was a Breton Templar and found him to be a lot a fun to play.  He made it to level 10 and then discovered that the next epic quest was broken.  When I contacted ESO in game about my problem, the 'Agent' came quickly to my rescue, told me it was a known bug, and put me back in play. Several things are carried forward from other ES games that made this one lots of fun.  I had a bunch to learn about panels, crafts, and advancement, but it all came together nicely.  I hope the mighty sorcerers of ES fix all the broken bits by launch, but it is a challenge.  My experience reminded me of how far Turbine has come with so many little things in lotro.  I think I am spoiled because of them, and my expectations for any MMO now are high.  I look forward to launch soon.

Meanwhile, glad everyone got to play and had the time to experience this new world.

Digger

Baridoc:
Started a new character today in that long term Psijic Order beta I'm part of and discovered something that I didn't know before, and maybe this is just the case for 1. this particular beta, or 2. those who pre-order, I'm not sure. In any case, you can pick your alliance, then pick your race and class. In other words, ANY race/class combination can be part of ANY alliance. That doesn't seem to me to be the way it started out, and maybe this was a glitch or for one of the reasons I mentioned above. I'm wondering if the whole game is going to be that way. It would be cool in a way... and not cool in a way.

Anyway I wanted to let you know.

With all Hobbity affection...
Bari...

Kethrandir:
I noticed this as well, Bari.  I created a Bosmer character on a lark and woke up in... Daggerfall.   ???  Not sure what the long-term plan is for this.  I also agree with you on the wisdom of an 'open alliance' system.  I get the desire, but...

Keth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page