Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodsongs Are Slowing Down  (Read 9648 times)
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »

From Goodsong Manor,

As the end of this release approaches for all five of my characters, we will be slowing down a bit and considering visiting other worlds.  We will always be present for the big battle nights and festivals, but honestly, running HD solo is depressing and we are looking with interest to ESO now.  Is anyone else besides Perigard considering living in two worlds?  If so, we might form up and explore together.

Digger
Orophor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:56 AM »

While this is sad news to me, I can completely understand. The slow pace of updates and the few friends online make LotRO a lonely game these days.

For my part, I haven't the time to start a new game, and the Elder Scrolls series has never been my favorite, even though I've played them all (but none to completion). Really none of the current or announced MMOs have grabbed me. I guess I will wait for SWTOR or LotRO to have a serious update worth coming back for. The last game I played for any serious time was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on the PS3. It was a great single-player RPG, but it would be nice to find a game we can all play together.

O

Digger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »

Now, my old friend Orophor, this doesn't mean I am leaving at all.  I will be on and off but not as much. 

There are other concerns I have with Lotro as it has evolved over time as well.  I grow tired of making and remaking legendary weapons when I would prefer to make one and then improve and enhance it at a much lower cost of time and coin.  I also am delighted with the current story but find some of it needs attention that it lacks - some quests are really great and others are trivial actions but both produce the basic same rewards.  The gating of crafting with these rare emerald shards is a pain when you think that 5 chars need each 6 armour pieces plus 3 LIs plus tools and swords and all require that one item - the emerald shard.  And when I am done with that, I don't really need any of it to play the big battles well or to do the landscape battles.  And then finally, since I am kvetching a bit, why do walnuts look like acorns, why are all locations since Snowborne the same icon, and several other little nits that annoy.  It is time to push back and get a fresh perspective for me.

I will be here for all the fun stuff but less often.

Digger
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »

While this is sad news to me, I can completely understand. The slow pace of updates and the few friends online make LotRO a lonely game these days.

I'm sorry to hear this O. I think you might like ESO if you gave it a try. It's not a multi-player version of Skyrim and it has some very nice group functions and guild perks. Goodness knows I would love to have you there with us.

Perigard and the rest of my family will NEVER leave LOTRO, of course. I love the lore too much to every walk away.. and why would I with a permanent account? Wink But the game is not what it once was and turbine doesn't seem to care as much anymore about giving us quality content. I'll still be there when/if we reach mordor... but I thought a new game might be fun to try as a group.

Hope you change your mind because you will surely be missed. Sad

With all Hobbity affection...
Baridoc and family.

Kethrandir
Administrator

Auta i lome!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »

I've been doing a little soul-searching on this point as well, Digger.  Once my characters reach the level cap, complete all the landscape quests, reach maximum reputation, and reach rank 4 or 5 in the Big Battles system, there aren't a lot of things that draw me back.  Certainly kin events are a big one, as are the Moors (occasionally), crafting for alts, and just to explore the landscape.  Starting and playing lower-level alts can be great fun for me too.  But overall, each release seems to bring with it a small drop in the number of friends who used to make LotRO such an exciting, dynamic place.  It makes me that much more grateful when I see you all online!

Gaming for me is a hobby for weekday evenings and the weekend.  It is also a zero-sum activity.  Time spent in other games I love (Skyrim, Age of Empires II, the Witcher series...) comes out of my LotRO time, and vice versa.  In that context, throwing ESO into the mix scares me a bit.  I suspect that I'll love it.   Grin  If so, I would really love to meet up with everyone!  There's a fairly large group of people who drifted away from LotRO awhile ago that I hope to see and play with again also.  If I find out that different groups are on different servers, the decision will be a difficult and awkward one.  I'd hate to have to play different games to see each group, but that might be the only way to (re)connect with as many old friends as possible.  Time will tell.

But I really must echo Digger and Baridoc's comments:  I will certainly be playing LotRO for as long as they keep a server running!

Edit:  Looking into things a bit deeper, I'll be interested to see/hear how Zenimax's 'mega server' implementation impacts the formation and function of guilds.  If we're all able to interact with each other, even if some 'channel' jumping is required, that might solve a number of problems. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:08:08 PM by Kethrandir » Logged

The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)
Digger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »

Keth,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  It is much the same for me.  The true fun and laughter is with groups of folks together, and playing ESO whittles away at lotro time.  One bit of good news is that in ESO everyone is on the same 'server'.  Chars are auto placed in virtual servers with friends and kin.  So one server to rule them all, as it were.  Also, an account can join up to five kinships or guilds.  When a char joins, all alts are also members of that guild.  No real AH except among the guilds.  Interesting approach.  I am going to give it a go and see.  Also, I can't let Peri go alone into that dark world.

Digger
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »

Also, I can't let Peri go alone into that dark world.

He WOULD be devastated without his Shire-friend...  and ALL his kinmates to be sure.

Keth, I hope your research turns up some good information. I haven't been part of a guild while beta testing ESO so I have no direct knowledge of how it works EXCEPT that I know you can be in up to **5 guilds** at once which, to me, seems silly a all getout. There are benefits to guilding up though. And it would be fantastic if some of our friends who have gone in other directions could be drawn back to game with us in Tamriel! What an exciting thought!

They're doing a new update today so I hope I've got more news for all of you once we get the new 'stuff' to play with. So far the game has many more good points than bad ones.. though there ARE things that I don't like... probably because I'm not used to them. Digger and I have had conversations about grouping and alliances and I found this out:

Can you group with other alliances?
Group = No, only your alliance
Guild = Yes, any alliance can join
Cyrodiil (PVP area) = No, only your alliance

Digger and I also (correct me if I'm wrong, Master Goodsong) think that the Daggerfall Covenant would be the most alliance best suited to out type of game play. I am testing out a Breton Sorcerer right now from that alliance to see how it goes. So far I really like him. At level 15 you can do weapon-swapping and I intend to also have him carry a restoration staff so that he can heal.

At this point I'm not overly fond of the 'Hunter (Archer)" function. Hopefully they'll improve it as time goes on, but the races and classes are all VERY flexible in terms of armor and weapons, though there ARE advantages to wearing certain kind of armor with certain classes (ie: sorcerer gets more magicia etc with light armor).

Crafting is fun, but they REALLY need to boost the amount of inventory space. Guilds get, of course, their own bank which helps.

More from Tamriel soon.

With all Hobbity Affection...
Baridoc... and family.

Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

OK. The latest upgrade gave us more inventory space (which has been an issue loudly discussed) and also more bank space. I haven't been able to be on much because they're doing another hot fix today so the server is off-line, but from what I saw for the brief time I WAS on ... the added space is substantial and helps a lot.

Also... this link gives a lot of info.

http://esohead.com/

You can create builds and also look at creation in crafting. As a sorcerer, I'm focusing on woodworking (destruction and healing staffs) and clothing (Light and Medium armor).

If when we go in as a guild we will (I believe) want to each focus on one or two types of crafting... much as we do in LOTRO and supply each other. There IS a Guild 'story' but we've never charged each other for making stuff so i doubt we'd do it that way.

If you pre-order the 'Imperial' edition you get a few perks including a starter horse. A good deal since horses in this game at REALLY expensive. The horse can be used for extra storage and can be leveled up.

This is also an interesting link: http://www.teso-rp.com/forum/m/9324623/viewthread/8889919-guild-importance-in-teso

Quite frankly, I think this game is geared toward grouping... though only slightly. There are bosses that you have a REALLY hard time doing solo and there group dungeons all over the place which have their own evolving story line and great loot. I have not tried any of these. Not done any real grouping. But I hear it's super fun.

That's my latest report.

With Hobbity Hugs....
Bari

Kethrandir
Administrator

Auta i lome!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »

Keep these reports coming, Baridoc!  Great info.

I started a character over this past weekend and really liked what I was seeing.  My biggest challenge will be coming up with a character that I can identify with and enjoy playing.  I may have to roll a few different ones and see which I prefer.  So far I'm particularly fond of the Aldmer and the Bosmer, neither of which are in the Daggerfall Covenant (oh no!).  I never got around to any of the crafting or grouping opportunities.  But I certainly enjoyed my early experience!

Keth

The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »

So far I'm particularly fond of the Aldmer and the Bosmer, neither of which are in the Daggerfall Covenant (oh no!).  I never got around to any of the crafting or grouping opportunities.  But I certainly enjoyed my early experience!

Well perhaps we can lure Mr. Goodsong over to the Aldmeri Dominion. He likes elves doesn't he? And... I'm totally up to play a Khajiit... I like them as a Nightblade. Which class did you play? I will add here though that I had a Redguard (Daggerfall Covenant) Dragonknight and he really rocked. So we may end up luring you back to Daggerfall Covenant. Wink And actually... I know this sounds weird... but the Orcs in this game are actually quite nice. They're not the drooling monsters they are in LOTR. They have a rich culture and once you get to know them in the game you change how you feel about them. I know they LOOK like bad guys.. but they're not.

I'm liking my Breton Sorcerer so far. If we went AD I'd have to play a High Elf I imagine to get the same class. I wasn't fond of their archery. Tried it as a Wood Elf. Did you give it a go?

No, I haven't done any grouping as yet either. I really want to wait in order to do that with my friends... all of YOU!

Only a month 'til launch. They're doing a LOT of hotfixes lately... you can feel the rush to get things completed before launch. The fun of the beta I'm part of is that we get content that no one else gets... not even the other 'beta' players. It's fun. And I will add that I've been VERY impressed with the responsiveness of the TESO team. They have made substantial changes based on our recommendations and their customer servers is first rate! A big improvement over Turbine to be sure.

Can't wait to see all of you in game. It's just not as much fun without my kin-mates.

With Hobbity Hugs....
Bari and family
Digger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »

I am open to any of the Alliances as long as we can learn together and battle together.  So lead on and I will follow.

Digger
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »

I'm happy to hear that Shire-friend. I feel the same. I don't care which way we go as long as we're together. And.. OH! You can be in up to 5 guilds, SO it is possible that we could EACH have a character in a different alliance, just to try them out, form a guild with THOSE characters... and still be able to quest together as a group. I think THAT may be the justification for being able to be in 5 guilds at once. I'll have to check to be sure... but I feel certain that includes *forming* guilds. In any case we aren't really limited to any one alliance.

A word or two about crafting. Just things I wish I'd known when I first started. As I said, it would be wise to specialize. One of us take blacksmithing (iron weapons and heavy armor), another woodworking (bows,staffs, shields) and/or clothing (light and medium armor). All crafted materials have levels of quality that can be upgraded IF you have the required materials. Your crafting skills level as you go. Raw materials are all over the landscape. You don't need to buy a tool in order to harvest. It's automatic.

Each race has a  'stone' particular to them which you must have in order to craft items for that particular race. The stones can be purchased. So to do a plain old sword you'd need at a minimum enough ore to create the number of ingots necessary and at least ONE stone for the race in question. You are able to work on your own race as soon as you create your character but to work  on *other* races' items you need to 'learn' it with a recipe... and those are rare.

To make fancier weapons or armor with additional traits on them you need to learn 'traits' and have the stone associated with that trait. You learn traits by 'researching'. In order to do that research, an item WITH that trait must be in  your inventory. Then, at the crafting center you begin your research through the crafting panel. It takes hours for the research to be completed but then you can add the trait to anything you craft IF you have the proper stone. It's hard because each item has different traits.. ie: a fire staff has different traits than an ice staff... so to learn them all will take tons of time.. and I think that's how they wanted it.

Any item you claim as 'loot' can be 1. researched to learn traits, 2. upgraded if you have the required materials, or 3. deconstructed to gain more crafting materials.

Weapons and armor can also be 'enchanted' with glyphs which are created by the enchanting craft. These glyphs add enhancements, items do more damage, spells use less mana.. etc. Enchanting is the hardest craft. The items you need are scarce. But when you get them and learn the craft it can really beef up your weapons, armor, and jewelry.

When I craft the first thing I check is whether or not I have an item I can research to learn a new trait. Then I refine any raw ore or wood, or cloth/hide I may have. Then I deconstruct any items I don't want or don't want to save for later researching. Then I create. As soon as I create I check to see if I have the necessary materials to *upgrade* the item. If I do.. I try for an upgrade. If I succeed, I get a much better weapon or armor and my upgrading skills improve. If I fail the item is destroyed. You do NOT succeed often at first. You fail quite a bit.

Crafting in this game is a process. It's slow at first. You can choose to use the skill points you get when you level up to enhance your crafting abilities, ie: there's a function called 'keen eye'. If you use a skill point for it, the raw materials you need for your crafting are surrounded by smoke and very MUCH easier to see. The gathering of raw materials for crafting is very much tied to exploration.

Crafting is a process in this game and I find it to be a lot of fun. My Breton Sorcerer is specializing in Clothing and Woodwork... so I used a skill point in 'keen eye' in both those crafts so I can see the wood and clothing plants much more easily. Other crafting skills (the ones that use skill points) make it easier to get materials for upgrading items when you deconstruct, let you 'hire' someone who sends you materials once a day, etc...

I hope I didn't make it sound too complicated. I actually like the process quite a lot. I tell you all this to emphasize the point that which crafting area we each want to focus on is something we'll need to discuss from the get go. It's a waste of time to try to do all of them... though we will certainly share materials.

With all Hobbity love and affection...
Bari

Digger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »

Peri,

This sounds delightful and very complex which is typical of ES games.  I think I shall head towards a blacksmith for my craft with possibly going for a heavy armor character.  I was sorry to learn from you and others that bows are a bit nerfed here, cause I think striking first with a bow and closing for melee might be my approach.  I find using magic in ES difficult and not as simple to use on a first character.  Glad you are going with a magic wielder.  Also, I am registered for the next beta test and hope to learn some first-hand things with that.

Digger
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »

I think I shall head towards a blacksmith for my craft with possibly going for a heavy armor character.  I was sorry to learn from you and others that bows are a bit nerfed here, cause I think striking first with a bow and closing for melee might be my approach. 

Then I'll focus on Woodworking and Clothing. However I WILL harvest iron nodes whenever I see them and put them in the guild bank for you to use. And... I can make bows or staffs for any who need them or light/medium armor.

The Nightblade is a very cool melee warrior, http://elderscrollsonline.info/nightblade. They have one skill where there literally LEAP on mobs from out of thin air and stun them as they land (teleport strike I think). I loved that class. Didn't do a Dragonknight but they're also a heavy weapon/armor sword swinger for DC. Here's another Nightblade  link. http://www.wikihow.com/Play-a-Nightblade-in-Elder-Scrolls-Online

I wouldn't discount the bows just yet. They need some love, there's no question. But at lvl 15 you get a weapon swap function where a bow might work very well for just the purpose you describe. And I really believe that the bows WILL get some attention before launch. We've made a lot of noise about that issue. And I can make you some VERY cool bows!! Smiley

I thought the same thing about magic users in TESO until I really focused on my sorcerer. I discovered the trick is to put almost ALL my skill points into mana. I have almost nothing in health or stamina. He's probably pretty mushy, BUT nothing gets close enough to me to find out. BOOM! Big destruction fire staff and they are ash.

Also... the fighters guild offers a skill called 'Silver Bolts' that is just a long distance KILLER esp on undead and Deadra. Used with my staffs and magic... not much gets anywhere near me.

Less than a month 'til launch!! Woot!

With all Hobbity hugs and affection...
Bari

Ariadan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

Now you've done it!!  The Goodsong investigation of ESO and Baridoc's research have got me pining for some adventures with very old friends.

I would be honored to adventure with those of you that travel to ESO.  

Ariadan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: