Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Credits: The Future of MMOs  (Read 1409 times)
Orophor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »

Through a tip from another comment, I found this video about MMOs. It was well thought-out, and nicely done. Check it out here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1906-The-Future-of-MMOs
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:51 AM »

Very insightful video.  However, I don't agree that all RPGs must be WOW knock-offs.  I think there is ample room for new ideas and models.  Nonetheless, this is a really good business view of what is essentially a business.  With so many new innovations in technologies today, I look for some enterprising and risk-taking company to integrate some of these into our pastimes.

Cheers,
Digger
neath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22:33 AM »

Interesting article. Slightly off topic, unless you believe the pitch that this is a different way to play mmo, check out www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/video/6273005.

Short commercial in front, but interesting trailer.
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »

Thanks, Neath.  I have a GW account but just didn't play much.  Mostly I was solo and just running on typical quests.  This idea of persistent changes where a rescued village remains rescued is attractive.  Maybe I will give it a look, but it is hard to play two MMOs concurrently for me.

Digger
Tuiliel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »

Thanks Neath for the GW2 link! I loved GW and only started LOTRO after I had done all I could do with it. My heart will always belong to LOTRO because of the content and the amazing community, but I'm really looking forward to seeing if the unique aspects of GW2 really live up to their hype!

Tuiliel, Lady of the Silver Arrow
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: