Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTRO goes to Free to play mode.  (Read 2939 times)
neath

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »

http://www.lotro.com/news/709-announcing-the-lord-of-the-rings-onlines-move-to-free-to-play-

I wonder how this is going to play out. Any one understand what the benefit is to stay subscribed?  I read it and I could not understand the benefit.

Also, note, no update to the game until this comes out and it will not be out until the fall. So no game update until then. Sad situation IMO.
Mithasul
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »

Well ... that stinks!

On the positive side my kids will be willing to play now that is free.

Thanks Neath for the information.  Need to read more now.

M
Tharak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »

OK I've read a great deal of the information by now, and I can calm down a bit. I'll try to summarize the important stuff, as it relates to current players.

Looks like current subscribers (all of us), as they continue their subscription, will retain all of the benefits and options they had before the change. You keep everything, including character slots, gold, housing, crafting tier, etc. (the chart is a little confusing as it only includes the numbers for stuff as it used to be in SoA days.)

If you pay a monthly subscription, you still have to pay that fee every month to retain your VIP status and all your goodies. Which is pretty much how it is now -- you don't pay you don't play. The difference with the new system is: if you stop paying you only lose partial access to your account. You'd still be able to log in and run around, only you'd have access to less character slots, less skirmishes, etc. All that stuff you used to have would not be deleted or lost forever, you get it all back if you renew your subscription. VIP's get 500 points a month, I refuse to consider them free since you pay a subscription.

Lifetimers will get everything monthly subscribers get, but they don't have to pay anything (of course, just as it is now). They also get 500 free points a month. It says you have to maintain your VIP access (as a lifetimer) by logging in once a month, but even if you go inactive for a long period, as soon as you log in everything reactivates anyway. So you really are logging in once a month to collect your 500 points.

So that's it. It seems pretty seamless for people who are already playing: everything will stay the same and we get 500 points a month.

And we'll get a buttload of points on day one for being here so long in the first place.
- 500 pts/month starting right now
- 500 points per year you've been playing (3 for me, and probably most of us)
- Founders get 500
- Lifetimers get 1000

BTW points never expire, and there will be ways to gain them via gameplay, so I figure Tinolt will end up having 50,000 of them in about half a year.
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:38 AM »

OK I've read a great deal of the information by now, and I can calm down a bit. I'll try to summarize the important stuff, as it relates to current players.

Thank you SO much for summarizing this rather startling development. (Startling to ME at any rate.. others may have seen it coming)

Frankly, I felt rather apprehensive when I read about this, but your explanation helped me feel a lot better. It doesn't seem so bad. And lifetimers like me get a decent perk.

I only  hope that this development doesn't mean we won't be getting new content. I SO want to see all of my beloved Middle-earth.

Again, thank you!!

With all Hobbity affection
Peri and family
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:12 AM »

.... for what it's worth.... that I've played 'Runes of Magic', one of the best FTP games out there, and it was and IS great fun. It's a wonderful game with a lot of very cool features, and they come out with new content fairly often. So, maybe this won't be such a bad thing??

Peri and family
Chritien

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »

I believe there will be ups and downs to this change but that is how things go with all changes. I will not be leaving the game I am a Lifer in all sense of the word and is i see it as a Lifer i am not changing much in my game play other then having more players to group with and a nice monthly gift of points i can spend as i wish. I am excited for the beta to see what exactly will be added and hope that i am accepted so i might be able to help make it the best it can be. I do hope to see all my Kin-mates still around after the launch I will just have to wait and see.

Thank you Neath for posting this it is how I found out about this big news.

Always for the Kinship,
Chritien Eldest Sister of crafting

You can contact me on google hangouts at barbara@barbara.pro If you'd like my Cell number to be able to text me send a PM and i'll be happy to give it to you.
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »

I know many will disagree, but I honestly thing this change will help us all.  We need new players and a new approach to the market.  Perhaps Turbine's new master will also encourage them to add more RP to the game and lighten up on the constant conflict a bit.  I am curious about the Store.  Seems almost that Turbine is following a gold-seller's model there.  lol.  Interesting times ahead of us.  And you may count on me being there till the Gates of Mordor.

Digger
Morlocrond

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:03 AM »

HHmmmm..... Very interesting.  I agree with Digger on the bringing new people to the game.  This will allow those on the fence to try it out.  For alot longer than the usual 10 to 14 days.

On the other hand this could change the direction of the game as well.  Since it looks like we are not getting to much in the way of new zones this year since they are concentrating on this F2P this fall.  I could be wrong.

Morlocrond
Orophor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »

I confess, I have my doubts about the motives and choices which led us to a free-to-play model. Likewise I am concerned by the news that there will be no update till Fall, which means we have seen no new portion of middle earth since December of last year.

Still, perhaps this change will be for the better, especially if it allows us to recruit our friends and family who were put-off by the fees. As Master Goodsong said, we have a picnic at the Black-Gate to attend, and at least this should help field an army.

O
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »

I am completely speculating with little-to-no data to support me.  However, let that not stop a hobbit from launching a good guess and opinion.  I have noticed in the last couple months, especially, that the number of players seems greatly reduced on our server.  Few folks are in 21st or even in Ost Galadh.  Bree is darn near empty a lot of time.  This is not to say no one is there, but the numbers seem thinner.  I suspect a reduction in the player base which means a reduced revenue stream from Lotro.  This also seems to explain the lessened improvements, upgrades and fixes recently - no revenue means fewer resources.  I do not think this shortage either a lack of imagination or a lack of interest in the devs for more.  It smells and sounds like a revenue problem to me.  The easiest revenue source is from new players because much of that content will serve to please as it is.  The more difficult revenue source is to continue satisfying the current base by creating new challenges and content. 

In the past, much of the focus has been on retaining the current base thru new content.  Now comes this announcement.  Several things strike me about it.  First it might draw new players to the game.  This F2P offer appears much like the offer to 'take this puppy home and see if your kids like it.'  I suspect that is the idea - F2P members will convert upward generating increased revenue using current content.  Secondly, the Store (gold-sellers incognito) is essentially a loyalty program much like common frequent flyer/user programs.  The Store, if done well, could create greater stickiness to the current players as well as new ones. The gold-sellers of WoW offer many items for money that are not those earned thru special effort quests/raids but are both attractive and desirable. With Turbine running the Store and making the items, this is a strong opportunity for pleasing the players and enhancing the experience.

Finally, the current end-game players require new content and challenges which need funding from more than their meager subscriptions.  It strikes me that the lower cost to maintain a new player permits diversion of that revenue to new content development.  In the end, however, execution will determine if this strategy is workable or a dead-end.  I must confess that in spite of my complaints about grinding, rad gear, nerfing, and screwy LI's, Turbine has proven to me that they know how to execute and improve.  So, they still have my confidence that the game will get only better and better.  I do hope they solve their revenue problems because this game is a beautiful piece of work so far.

If I bring the food and Orophor brings the army, then all we need for our picnic is to have Turbine deliver the game at the Gates.  See you all there.

Digger
Baridoc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

Digger, count me and the family IN for that picnic at the Black Gates. We'll stuff ourselves in true Hobbity fashion (which means everything washed down with tons of hardy ale), then push our way into Mordor and proceed to kick all kinds of black land booty!!

FEAR US, MORDOR!! FEAR US!

Perigard and family
Emrys
Global Moderator

SM Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:05:28 AM »

LOTRO is not a failing MMO when this announcement came out it has a good amount of patrons over all. Studies have shown that Fee to Play Games with item shops can turn a good profit. I do not believe this means that they will stop producing content. On the contrary I think we will yet make it to Rohan or even Minus Tirith.

I did notice they are totally ending any future chance to gain Lifetime status since the new sales model requires that people contribute by purchasing Points. Actually it may be genius if the items are at all worth it I might even purchase points for features. Being lifetime I don't even put money into the game unless an expansion comes out.

This gives people reason to spend again on a regular basis. People that don't normally need to spend.
neath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:49 AM »

With the upcoming expected influx of new players, how will new kin membership be affected? Do we still except members quickly, now that they may just be running thru for a short time or worse yet Gold miners in disguise?

New influx of players, join kin, clean out kin house, sell goods, sell resulting gold, leave game. Rinse and repeat?

How do we protect kin house chest of items? Do we worry about it?

Sorry, but I have seen something similar happen in other mmo's and kins, and I do expect the worse with the upcoming change.
Orophor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »

Well in general we are pretty relaxed about these things, recruiting individuals after talking with them one on one and seeing if we are a good match for them and they for us. Then there is a somewhat brief time as a recruit, with restricted permissions on the kinhall. Full members have greater access with only the ability to change access permissions being reserved for officers.   

As a rule of thumb, we only place things in the kinhall chests if we are offering it for use by the kin. Any kin member who is not a recruit may use items found there. The only concern I have is the items which bind, so if a kin member wants to use an item which binds, they should have a care that they get good use of it. All of this is somewhat informal, but we don't seem to run into mich trouble with it yet, and so long as we remain careful with whom we invite to join, it should remain simple and easy.
Mithasul
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »

I am just thinking out loud but ... kinships could be used to circumvent some of the restrictions placed by the different tiers?  Example:  Join a kin and ask for help and get all these items that otherwise will not be able to purchase.  I imagine that most of the items sold could be crafted by lifers?

Well just a couple of question for the future that could be.  We will know when it happens.  For now I will be happy to see a busy Bree.

Take care,

Mith.

I will bring the table cloth and I will be accompanied by my appetite.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:51:35 PM by Mithasul » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: