Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lands of Dale  (Read 1605 times)
Staffen

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

Dear Elfs and Elf friends from abroad,

If you would entertian a simple Man for a short time, I would like to tell you of my homeland. The Elf- and Dwarf-folk tell of their splendid lands and heroes, and I should like to do the same. We are not so spoken, the Men of Dale I mean, as are the Men of the realm of Gondor, land of spires and cities, or even Rohan, where the horses are tall and fast I am told, but Dale has her history and her heroes and we are a proud bunch all the same.

I will tell you what I may!

At the time of my departure from this fair country, Brand was the King of my people. He is a fair ruler and of the rightful lineage to be soveriegn over Dale, being of the descent of King Girion who was in rule back in the year 2770 and before in the reckoning of most folk. The lineage of Girion became hazy after the coming of Smaug -I am sure you all have heard of that wretch-, but it is known that Bard the Bowman was of his bloodline and our King Brand is Bard's grandson. The Dale of Girion's times we often refer to as 'Old Dale,' being the city before it was destroyed by the dragon Smaug. After the dragon's passing and the Battle of Five Armies, Dale began a new era that has become known as 'Dale Renewed.' This is has seen the reconstruction of its battlements, garrison, and township, and the reestablishment of trade out of our city.

When the city was attacked by Smaug, my forebears and the other folk of Dale were forced to retreat and forfeit their beloved homes on the Celduin River... I shall speak more of the River in a moment. And so it was that the town of Esgaroth was founded on the waters of the Long Lake, a rather clever work I must admit. It was erected atop pillars driven deep into the bed of the Lake, and appeared to float on the surface as a lily pad - it was commonly called Lake Town for this reason. It stands even today, and this is where my kin lived until the time that the dragon was slain, which by my reckoning and counting of fingers was about 170 years! At this time, Bard the Bowman refounded the city and proceeded to rebuild with our portion of the treasure in Erebor.   

By the time I came into the world, Dale had been restored, and the traces of decay and disuse had nearly vanished. The Dwarf-folk took up dark Erebor to the north of the city; being masters of stone-craft, it was with their aid that we rebuilt Dale. We have good relations with the folk in the Lonely Mountain...Speaking of Erebor, this was the home that the dragon Smaug made for himself when he came to Dale; I've heard tell that the dragon came to the Mountain to capture the dwarfs' treasure, which at that time was quite immense due to their crafts of masonry and metalwork. For this reason, the dwarf-folk, like my people, were driven from their rightful homes. It is in this sense that our two peoples are kindred spirits - I think this mutual understanding fosters our great friendship.

But, yes, the Mountain itself stands alone in the north-east of the Wilderlands, a single and very lonely mountain indeed. It is a half-league or so across and has six spurs. Dale was built (and later rebuilt) in between the two southern-most spurs. This is the same side where is the Gate of Erebor as a dwarf once told me, which is the main entrance into the mountain. The Celduin, oft called the Running River, which I previously spoke of, begins as a spring that runs out of the Gate, winds down into the valley between the southern spurs, and rounds the city of Dale before streaking south toward a fringe of the Mirkwood and beyond. It is from this powerful river that my family at least has made its livelihood since the reclaiming of Dale, by working a watermill.

Speaking on watermills, the folk of Dale lead humble and proud livings. We utilize the Celduin to ferry goods down the river to other settlements, things such as grain, lumber, dyes, fish, and the peculiarities we get from Durin's Folk now and again, rocks and metalcraft and such. We do not receive many travelers so our inns and assortment of fineries are still in lack. We do, however, have our drinking establishments and song-singers - I can bet my kin had a lot of both after Bard smote the dragon out of the air! What a thing to celebrate, that!

-

The lands thereabout Dale, excluding the Mountain mind you, being craggy and altogether barren, are rolling plains, the grass not being too tall to travel through nor so short that children could not hide in the growth. These plains are especially prevalent to the south of the Dale-ish valley, whereupon are scattered forests aplenty and good game for the hunt. The winters are bitter there, the summers mild, and the springs cool - we do cherish the snow!

OOC: More forthcoming shortly as I gather more of my research together!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:06:38 PM by Staffen » Logged
Digger
Global Moderator

Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »

Captain Staffen,

Please do tell me more of your history for I know little of the ways of menfolk or the places of their homes.  We Fallohides are great lovers of history, but mostly we write and talk about ourselves.  Then when Tarlwyn began trying to edukate me about the history of elves, I was so confused.  The First Born have such a long history and so many trials and so many places and so many names.  My little Hobbit head just spins trying to keep it all straight and learn the languages too.  And now, I am trying to get more out of our friend Hosklar about the Children of Aule, those mysterious dwarven folk, but they are rather tight-lipped about their histories.

So this is a for me a drink of fresh water.  Please do tell us more.

Friend always,
Digger Goodsong
A Learning Hobbit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: