Author Topic: The Lore Game  (Read 40945 times)

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
Re: The Lore Game
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 02:46:34 PM »
Indeed it was Tar-Ancalimė that was the first woman to claim the Ruling Scepter of Elros, as the seventh ruler of the Island of Gift.

Now it is your turn to ask a question Kethrandir.

Kethrandir

• Administrator
  • Auta i lome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
"Then clearly thrilled her voice and rang;
with sudden ecstasy she sang
a song of nightingales she learned
and with her elvish magic turned
to such bewildering delight
the moon hung moveless in the night."

To whom does this short passage refer?
Visit my home at 1 Waterbank Rd, Roslad in Ered Luin anytime for a hint!

The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)

Staffen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
Luthien Tinuviel, I believe, from the Silmarillion?

Questioning himself,
Staffen of Dale, Wrestler of Bears

Kethrandir

• Administrator
  • Auta i lome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »
Correct!  In fact, Beren named her Tinuviel (meaning nightingale, the daughter of moonlight) after this song she sang.  It continues:

"And this it was that Beren heard,
and this he saw, without a word,
enchanted dumb, yet filled with fire
of such a wonder and desire
that all his mortal mind was dim;
her magic bound and fettered him,
and faint he leaned against a tree.
Forwandered, wayworn, gaunt was he,
his body sick and heart gone cold,
grey in his hair, his youth turned old;
for those that tread that lonely way
a price of woe and anguish pay.
And now his heart was healed and slain
with a new life and with new pain."

The asking now falls to you, Captain Staffen!
The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)

Staffen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
This should be easy enough:

What is the gift to Men from Ilśvatar that Men learned to loathe? And, what faction, if you will, grew out of their obsession with this thing in the Second Age, obsessed so that many later fell prey to Sauron's corruption and served him even into the Third Age?

Staffen of Dale

Mordorrain

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
Captain Staffen,

Would that be free will and mortality?  By faction would you mean the Nazgul or the kings of men who feared death or the gift and wanted eternal life?

Yours
Mordorrain

Staffen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
Friend and kinsman Mordorrain,

Mortality is the correct answer. The second part could actually be several different answers, I suppose. The Nazgul is one I didn't think of, though. The group that became known as the Black Numenoreans started with the King's Men, who were loyal to the Numenorean KingTar-Ancalimon who was very, em, interested in immortality. All of this in the end, however, led to dissuasion, corruption, and becoming servants to Sauron in time.

Pose a question, my friend!

Staffen of Dale, Bear Wrestler

Mordorrain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
Kinfolk

My question is this:

What was the name of the battle in which during the first age, Morgoth broke the Siege of Angband and routed the forces of the Noldor? 

Bonus question (get this right and Ale on me at the Pony):  Who/what led Morgoth's armies?

Yours
Mordorrain

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »
The Siege of Angband was broken by Glaurung the Golden,  father of dragons with a host of Balrogs and countless multitudes of Orcs. The plain that was once called Ard-galen was after named Anfauglith, the Gasping Dust. There were few songs sung of Dagor Bragollach, or the Battle of Sudden Flame. The sorrows of the Noldor were many, and alas Fingolfin, our High King was so wroth that none could restrain him and he challenged Morgoth himself to single-combat. Seven times did he wound the Dark Lord without suffering a return hit, yet finally he wearied, and was crushed under Morgoth's shield, thrice he was knocked down and rose to keep fighting. Finally he stumbled over the rent earth, and Morgoth placed his left foot upon Fingolfin's neck. With a last and desperate stroke, the High King stuck out with Ringol, and though he died, ever after did Morgoth limp and never again did he set forth from his iron fortress.

Mordorrain

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »
Master Orophor

Of course you are correct mighty Tur!  I believe you are to ask the next question.

Yours
Mordorrain

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
My next question would be of the dwarves, since they have yet to be spoken of. What are the names of the seven clans of the Khazād?

Mordorrain

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »
Mighty Tur et all

I know this one but since I just participated I will wait for a couple hours to see if anyone else knows of them.

Yours
Mordorrain

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »
Well, i guess I would be remiss if I didn't know a little bit about my own history, so I found this information out:

In The Silmarillion, it is stated that the Dwarves were originally divided into seven clans or 'Houses'. The three who enter Tolkien's histories are:

Longbeards (Durin's folk), who inhabited the city of Khazad-dūm in the Misty Mountains;
Firebeards, who founded Nogrod in the Blue Mountains;
Broadbeams, who founded Belegost in the Blue Mountains.

After the end of the First Age, the Dwarves spoken of are almost exclusively of Durin's line. The histories of the other four Houses are not revealed by Tolkien, although he provided their names:

Ironfists
Stiffbeards
Blacklocks
Stonefoots

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
Correct Hosklar. Truly you know the lore of the dwarven people. What lore will you quiz us with I wonder.

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 07:58:18 AM »
Ok, well, let's try for some Kinship lore, since I am not as well versed in the lore of Middle Earth as others...I will ask a few questions and we will see who can get them right them all right.  And since I am the War Master, they will likely be along those lines :)

1) Who was the first person in our kinship (who at the time wasn't in our kinship >.>) to receive their body piece from the rift?

2) Who was the first person to attain the status of achieving level 50?

3) Who was our first Grand Master Weaponsmith?

4) What was the name of the burglar that joined us in our very first Rift Raid run?

5) What was the original name of  Nothrim uin Tithengalu??

I would put in this proviso...Our great Tur surely knows the answers to all of these questions quite easily, so we should forbid him from participating  :P