Author Topic: The Lore Game  (Read 40309 times)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
The Lore Game
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »
My Beloved Kinfolks and Friends,

I should like to propose a little game of lore.  The idea is very simple.  Someone, an author, poses a questions about lore.  This question may be from any of the abundant Tolkien lore as well as from our own kinship lore and the histories of our kin.  For example, one might ask, 'Who are Elrond's parents?' from the Tolkien lore.  Or one might ask, 'Who are the founders of our kinship?' from our kinship lore.  Or even more fun, one could also ask, 'Why did Captain Staffen leave Dale?'  Answers may be researched in any of the Tolkien materials, this website, character biographies, or any available sources.

Kinfolk read the question and pose an answer.  If the author is correctly answered, then the answering person earns the privilege of posing the next lore question.  Please, only one answer per post, and do wait for the author's agreement before posting your next question.  Only those who answer the question first may pose questions.  We will continue our pursuits until we tire of the game or until we exhaust the lore (not likely).

So for all of you sharp folks who love the lore behind the game, this is your chance to show your stuff.  I will start with an easy question for everyone, and then we will proceed as described.

Question: Which of the following is NOT one of the three original breeds of Hobbits?
a) Tooks
b) Fallohides
c) Stoors
d) Harfoots

Enjoy,
Digger Goodsong

Ariadan

• View Profile
Re: The Lore Game
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »
Is the answer "Stoors", Alex? (Jeopardy fan's will know what I'm talking about)

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »
Oh no, good Ariadan.  The Stoors were heavier in build and they preferred flatlands and riversides. They were among the first three breeds of hobbit folks.  Three choices are left now.

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
Harfoots are not.  It was the proudfoots if I remember correctly from my readings.

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »
The Tooks, while a famous, large, and ancient family of Hobbits, are not quite a breed unto themselves. So the correct answer is A.

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
Orophor, you are correct.  This is my own family as a matter of fact, and a very large one it is.  However, most of us Tooks are really Fallohides who were the first hobbits to enter and found the Shire.  The Harfoots were altogether smaller and lived in the highlands and hillsides; Fallohides were more like Elves--taller and fairer, loving trees and woodlands.  While we are neither the first-born nor the atani (or edain), our origins are clouded in something of a mystery.  Some hold that we are a branch of the race of men while others argue that we are descended from the Avari elves of the area around Mirkwood near Cuivienen.  Either way, here we are, and we are to a person eager that this business with darkness be soon concluded so we can get back to our important matters.

Your turn to pose a question, Orophor.

Digger
a Fallohide by birth and by golly

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
For my question I shall draw from the First Age and ask "Who was the King of Gondolin?"

A) Fingolfin.

B) Finarfin

C) Turgon

D) Gil-Galad

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
Of the Hidden city Turgon was king.

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
You are correct Mithasul, now it is your turn to pose a query.

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
Excerpt from the Tolkien wiki:

"Turgon "the Wise" is an Elven king of the Noldor, second son of Fingolfin, brother to Fingon, Aredhel and Argon, and ruler of the hidden city of Gondolin...  Although Turgon was originally against the departure of the Noldor from Aman, he eventually did set out on the journey. After Fëanor and his sons departed using the only ships, he took his people across the dangerous Helcaraxë with his father Fingolfin...

"Ulmo appeared directly to Turgon and guided him to the vale of Tumladen in the Encircling Mountains, to which Turgon later secretly moved, taking with him a third of the original followers of Fingolfin and many of the Sindar, deserting Nevrast, and building the city of Gondolin... Turgon and his people remained isolated in Gondolin for many years...

"Turgon re-emerged with his host during the Nírnaeth Arnoediad, and although the battle was still lost, his intervention prevented the rout from completely destroying the armies of the Noldor and their allies. Turgon died defending Gondolin when it was betrayed by his nephew Maeglin and sacked by the hosts of Morgoth."

Tarlwyn

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:09 AM »
Of the elves left at the end of the Third Age who had lived in the Undying Lands?

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:51:59 AM »
Presuming you mean those that remained in Middle-earth who had made the great journey to Valinor, then returned, then the answer ought to be Lady Galadriel. Though given the tales of Gondolin and his presence at the White Council, I would say Glorfindel would also be correct.

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »
Sorry about that, yes it was Middle Earth.

Correct and correct.  People forget the mighty Glorfindel who was present at the fall of the Hidden City and the point of some contention is that if he is the same elf that saves Frodo and confronts the Nine at the Ford of Bruinen.

So, I think it your turn to post a question.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:43:24 AM by Mithasul »

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
We have asked about hobbits, and asked about elves of both the First Age and the Third. So for this question, I shall draw upon the lore of the Second Age, and ask of the race of Men. Who was the first Ruling Queen of Númenor?

Kethrandir

• Administrator
  • Auta i lome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
"The sixth King [Tar-Aldarion] left only one child, a daughter [Tar-Ancalime].  She became the first Queen, for it was then made  a law of the royal house that the eldest child of the King, whether man or woman, should receive the sceptre."
-  The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A:  The Numenorean Kings.

A full account of the Queens of Numenor, about whom I've read very little until now, can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruling_Queens_of_N%C3%BAmenor
The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)