Author Topic: The names of Hobbits  (Read 2503 times)

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
The names of Hobbits
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:43 AM »
Another in their occasional series "Blogging into Mordor" Massively.com gives us "Finding the Perfect Name for your Hobbit" here:
http://www.massively.com/2008/05/23/blogging-into-mordor-finding-the-perfect-name-for-your-hobbit/

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
Re: The names of Hobbits
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »
My Tur,

Thank you for this most interesting article.  When naming little Digger, I gave it a great deal of thought.  My dilemma was between his nickname, Digger, and his real name Diglobras who was a most famous Fallohide and quite wealthy. I just couldn't see him running around the Shire with that horrible handle plaguing him. 

Fearing that it would harm his early childhood, I devised a story behind his nickname which you and others have heard many times.  This allowed me to solve my problem and have him use a nickname.  Later as he grew older, he became so embarrassed by his real name that he never uses it and won't tell anyone.  Only Tarlwyn now knows it.  He did try to have it officially changed but the forms and procedures for that, in true hobbit tradition, took years to complete.  He abandoned the effort and goes only by his nickname now and forever.

Regarding nicknames, one of my acquaintances is the author of the oft cited reference on The Hobbit, living in Ithaca now, and he advises me from his research that the Professor spoke in his notes of hobbit nicknames.  Hobbits actually enjoy them quite a lot more than we realize, and they often refer to some incident from their childhood or life that others tease about.  This then is the case with Digger.  He had a most embarrassing escapade as a child and has been so called since then in true hobbit tradition. 

Naming hobbits is a lot of fun and truly not as easy as it seems at first.  I delight in all of the wonderful hobbit names I see both in our kinship and in the game.  Though I see several poor elves, dwarves and men stuck with dreadful nomers, it is uncommon that I see a hobbit poorly named.  I hope this is true and not just my experience.

Digger Goodsong
a Fallohide in good standing