Author Topic: Some Thoughts on Stewardship and Our New Kinhall  (Read 3919 times)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
Some Thoughts on Stewardship and Our New Kinhall
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:37:46 PM »
Le Suilon, my beloved kinfolk,

Our kinship continues to grow both in members and in its reputation among other players.  Some of this is due to our higher level folks now gathering with others and providing generous aid and assistance.  But in the main, it comes because of the way we are when we join others.  Our courtesies, our fun, our shared respect for each other - these are the things folks talk to me about when they ask to join or just want to talk about the people of the Tinnu uin Galadhrim.  Clearly, we have set a good standard for having a great time in ME.  We continue to thrive and enjoy ourselves and share that with others.

Now we come to a new phase of our growth - owning a kinhall.  This is a much anticipated event by all of us.  And I share with you the excitement of owning my own special home in addition to the kinhall.  With this purchase and the private homes comes a stewardship responsibility as well.  It isn't just a matter of raising funds to make the initial purchase.  There will be continuing rental fees and new items and much that requires us to plan together how we want to care for this kinhall of the Tinnu uin Galadhrim.  We must be good stewards now and provide the care that our kinhall deserves.

With that said, let's consider the initial costs of the purchase.  We have the actual purchase price, the cost of the storage boxes, the expense of initial furnishings, and the first six weeks rental.  All of this needs to be paid for up front so we can move in and enjoy.  Orophor is working on a proposed budget, but my estimate is that we will need about 35 gold to do this all in the style that we enjoy.  Much has been already raised through thoughtful donations from kinfolks.  But more is needed.  How much more?  We don't know yet. 

In my opinion, the best way is the way we always do things.  Let each member send Orophor a contribution that fits their purse and interests.  These will be kept completely confidential by Orophor alone.  Donations are a personal matter, but generosity is one of the traits that we are known for.  So let each decide how much this all means to their enjoyment and send a confidential contribution.  No dues.  No assessments.  No noise.  Let's just do this our way.

These are my thoughts on this matter.  I would truly like to hear yours.  Please be frank and open about our stewardship, and let me know if you have an idea that will make it work better for us.  I look forward to your comments with eagerness.

Your friend always,
Digger Goodsong
a simple hobbit

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
Re: Some Thoughts on Stewardship and Our New Kinhall
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »
I was thinking about this very topic when I saw your post Digger. I completely agree that any fund raising should be purely voluntary, no dues, fees or taxes would suit us. To give people an idea of the costs as we see them I will try to break down what we are getting:

A kinship hall has a large yard, where several placeable outdoor objects, like trees, shrubs, carts, and wells can be used.  Inside there is a large entry room. To one side you find a small room with a stair leading to another small room. On the other side of the entry room, there is a large audience hall with a raised platform and a smaller room off that hall. The hall can have up to three storage chests, each chest holds 30 things, so if we get all three, it's the same as six personal bags (one more than a character's usual inventory) and a bit more than a dozen exterior decorating hooks and over seventy interior decorating hooks. There are vendors, crafting recipes, quests and even loot drops for decorating items. The vendor-sold decorations vary in cost with the modest being around 10 silver and some of the more expensive being over 30 silver.

All the decorations and things stored in chests are kept with the house until it is abandoned (you deliberately give up your house) or foreclosed (you fail to pay the upkeep) and then they are held in escrow with the vault keepers for a limited time which I believe to be six days. It should be noted that if you abandon one house, there is a 24 hour cool-down before you can buy a new one, so be careful with your purchases. Also at this time, you may only pay upkeep for a total of six weeks in advance, meaning you need to pay at least every month and a half, though you can add permission for someone else to pay your upkeep. So if for example a player is a soldier going on deployment, he could add another player he trusts to his permission list (with settings for owner, everyone, kinship and up to 50 others you add yourself) with the ability to pay upkeep, in case he doesn't have the ability to play.

Breaking down the costs for a kinship hall, we have the following conservative estimates, based on updated Roheryn data:

Purchase cost: 18 gold (one-time, includes the first four-weeks of upkeep)
Upkeep cost: 300 silver/week (ongoing, at purchase you can only buy up two more weeks)
Three chests: 3 gold 100 silver (one-time)
Decorations: 1 gold 800 silver (90 hooks, roughly 20 silver each, one-time)

So that means we need approximately 23 gold 500 silver for our kinship hall, and every week after the first month that we would need to pay 300 silver. Personally I think this is affordable, and at the moment, thanks to gifts from two members and what I have managed to earn myself, we have about 10 gold now.

I would like to recognize people's contribution towards a new kinship hall, though that ought to be balanced by a respect for their privacy and a wish to not make it a contest of giving by sharing individual totals. I would ask that anyone who wishes to donate please indicate if they wish to be named as donors or if they wish their gift to be anonymous.

Also please give only what you can spare, as I would not want anyone to feel burdened by our kinship. It is far more important to me that we all enjoy each other's company than if we have a fancy hall. Above all other concerns I want us to have fun together.

Thanks,
Orophor
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:09:32 PM by Orophor »

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »
I would suggest that we either name everyone (probably the best way to do it) as a donor, well everyone that actually donates...or no one.  And in fact, now that I think of it, if we are keeping everything hush hush, which is the best course of action, we might as well not name anyone.

So yes, either name everyone, or no one, both of which I think are the best course of action, and definitly do either, or neither, or both.

Make sense?

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Well Hosklar, I would like to hear your reasons for thinking recognition should be an all or nothing thing. In most cases our kin is flexible and supportive of more than one way of doing things. Why not continue that with stewardship and giving?

Myself, I think of it like a subscription drive for a public radio station- whether you give or not you can still listen and those that donate are asked if they would allow their names to be read as donors.

((P.S, the Roheryn update for dwarf and hobbit homesteads is taking FOREVER, it's been going for over an hour and still has a hundred or so game data files to update. That's at over 250KB/s too!))

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »
The weekly cost of upkeep went up on deluxe and kinship houses. Our kinship hall on Roheryn went from 100 silver a week to 300 silver a week. Because of that I adjusted our estimate a little higher, but not too much.

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
I would just think that in order to keep everyone on the same page we just either publish everyone's name that donated, or no ones.  That way we have complete cohesiveness.  Don't get me wrong, I believe that we have an extremely unselfish kinship, and we will have absolutely no problems in coming up with the necessary gold.

I also think that not one person in the kinship will discuss "I know so and so didn't give any money towards the kin hall", or "So and so gave 10 gold and that level 50 only gave 1 gold".  It's just not going to happen in our kinship because we have great players, and I have complete confidence.

But we will avoid certain embarassments if we, say, don't publish anyone's names that did donate.  That way if someone was unable to donate, but wanted to, they won't feel slighted.  Or if they were saving up for a mount and weren't able to donate, it won't be a problem.  I figure we are better off assuming that everyone has done their part and avoid any potentials for embarassment.

I think that it will speak greatly as to the cohesiveness of our kinship, as well as the unselfish attitudes if we are able to say that our great kinhall was able to be purchased by the generosity of our entire kinship, whether through cash donations, or items, or time at hunts, or whatever...

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:41:28 AM »
Fellow Officers and Friends,

Sure, I am curious about who is donating and who is not, but when I ask myself why do I want to know that, the answers I give myself seem shallow.  We don't need this information, and it can engender feelings that we wouldn't want folks to have.  Giving is private, and I think it should remain so.

However, Orophor, you do need to know and should keep some sort of little record of it.  This provides you with the history you need as our leader to steer our financial course.  Some on the forums are rampantly paranoiac about confusion among kin leaders collecting funds and being mistaken for gold-buyers and hence banned.  This is nonsense, in my judgment.  But records are a good thing if kept simple and current.

Thanks for posting the budget though.  This is what folks need to discuss and understand.  Also, instead of collecting every six weeks, I suggest we just raise enough for the quarter or so, and reduce the number of times the request is made for funds to our members.  Given a few weeks after our initial purchase, perhaps we have a special event to raise our mortgage for the coming 6 mos.  Then it's done with and we can forget about it.  What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Digger
stuck in the water in Evendim

Imara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
I've always known the smallfolk were frugal, thank you Digger for your initiative in bringing up this issue of importance to all.

As an aside, I'll have you know Hosklar, I purchased my horse and already have a few coins saved up for donations  ;)

Loraq of Lorien

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
Ah, you are quite good at raising funds then fair Loraq as Palfo seems to have wasted his entire purse on his Blonde Steed.  I have asked him quite a few times to not expect me to raise the entire amount for a house, but he seems to have gotten pre-occupied with all of the new opportunities having a pony of his own opens up for him.

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »
Thanks to a couple more donations and a few more auctions I sold, we are now over 18 gold! Six more and we should be all set for a kinship hall.

Erazor

• Craft-house Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »
Done.
Respectfully,
Erazor Elennar of Gondor

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »
We now have 31 gold for the kinship hall, thanks to everyone that helped out, we should be able to handle the upkeep for a while to come.

Orophor