Author Topic: If We Made It, Would You Come?  (Read 3240 times)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
If We Made It, Would You Come?
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
I enjoy learning elvish phrases and pretending to be a hobbit or hobbit wife or old elf scholar (Digger, Lilly, Tarlwyn).  I don't want to interfere with other kinmates in their chat, so I was thinking of making a special User Chat Channel just for RP'ing.  If we did that, would you join and enjoy it?

Digger
a simple hobbit

Felinphor

• View Profile
Re: If We Made It, Would You Come?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
im not the most regular customer lately.. but I would

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
That's two of us now.  Tks.

Digger & Lilly

Endingwen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »
Count me and Keth in!  We might not be available to join in the RP channel all the time (e.g. during the big push to 75), but we both think it's a wonderful idea. 

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
Ms. Endy,

You and that partner elf are most welcome.  However, the idea of the RP channel would be to do the quests and adventures as if you were your character.  We could role play advancing ourselves and preparing to adventure in Isengard.  The kinchat would always be available to find folks and learn about things.  So don't wait till 75, join as soon as you can.

Digger

Mericc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
I suppose I would use it, although I do not see the need for a seperate channel.

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »
While I support any efforts to role-play, I am not sure a custom role-play channel is for me. For my part, I am already in-character in chat and quests keeping my ooc comments to the /ooc channel or using the ((double paren)) notation to indicate out of character chat. Likewise there is already a default rp channel, /rpc that I never see used. Given that we are limited to four custom channels, I would have to give up a current one to add this new channel.

Calandil

• Craft-house Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
I agree with Mericc and Orophor.  I like the idea behind it, but I don't think a separate channel is really necessary.  Using Orophor's method of double parenthesis to distinguish your in and out of character comments works well (I actually mean to utilize the same method more often than I do, I guess I've just been out of practice for too long for it to be a habit again).  There are members of the kinship that choose not to go this route and who may choose not to act in character at all, and that's perfectly fine.  I think we're all mature enough to be able to distinguish who's intentions are what and respect each style accordingly without segregating ourselves.

To address the topic of questing in character, I think it's a great idea, and would suggest considering an alternate direction that I've seen largely absent so far:  have the characters actually meet up from time to time in the same location (whether doing a quest together, accomplishing some other random objective together, just sitting in the same location to chat, etc.) and use spatial chat (/say) for in character discussions.  I've seen this done to a small degree in the past, though not quite as much recently.  Spatial chat is a great RP tool that often goes underutilized.  If you wanted to take it a step further, craft a specific story-based purpose for why those individuals are together at that time if not doing a quest; create a story element that's driving that task that all involved can center their character interactions around if it's not something directly involved with a specific quest narrative (or if you want to add something to an already given narrative).  When inviting others to participate, you might even want to give a specific, in character reason why those specific characters' presence are being requested to help everyone get into the appropriate frame of mind if you're intending to RP that time together (that character's specific skills/subject matter expertise/specific knowledge of the terrain, etc. would be helpful).

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Oh, I am glad you all are there to help me.  Okay, I see the light and sense of your thoughts and will withdraw the suggestion.

Cheers,
Digger