Author Topic: Invitation to a Pilgrimage  (Read 3475 times)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
Invitation to a Pilgrimage
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »
My Beloved Kinfolks,
I have decided to go on a pilgrimage to restore my hopes and convictions in fighting this awful evil.  I need to see once more the free peoples and beautiful Arda for which I first began my journey and adventure.

I will send you all a note soon and invite you to join me on this journey of renewal, either for all or part of my pilgrimage.

Cheers,
Digger
a hobbit in search of new vigor

Chritien

• View Profile
Re: Invitation to a Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
I would be happy to join your Pilgrimage Mr. Goodsong.
You can contact me on google hangouts at barbara@barbara.pro If you'd like my Cell number to be able to text me send a PM and i'll be happy to give it to you.

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Fair Chritien,

Your good company would be most welcome.  You are completely without any bonds on this journey of renewal.  You may stay as long as you wish and return as often as you wish.  I will send out more details soon as I can get a moment.

Digger

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
Master Goodsong:

You have at your service myself or any of my household.  We will go with you as long and as far as our will and strength will take us.

At your service,

Mithasul Greywind

PS. FYI Saturday is soccer night for my son.  Game at 7PM EST will be back at 9 PM

Timothus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
I too Digger will be happy to join with you, if you need me and if I meet the requirements - if there are any

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:56:46 AM »
Welcome, Goodmaster Timothus.  You are invited to walk with me on this pilgrimage for part or all as you wish.  The only requirements that I place upon myself are to not do quests or fighting but to visit the free peoples and view the beautiful Arda that I love so much. 

My purpose is to renew my spirits as the killing and evil have dampened me a bit.  The farther East we go, the harder and more frequent the slaughter gets.  I need to remember why I left my home that day so many years ago and joined this struggle - to experience the reason that I am here and in the battle.  I have seen so many good friends come and go and come again that I need to meditate and renew my spirits.  You are invited to walk with me.

Cheers,
Digger

Iryanna

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Digger,

Your pilgrimage is a brilliant idea!  Rejeuvenation through feeling grass under foot, hearing bird songs and good fellowship sounds delightful.  Please count me as part of your fold when it is time to set forth on this wonderful stroll.

Iryanna

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
My pilgrimage has begun, and it is already working its wonders.  You are invited to join with me anytime.  I enjoyed the company of several kinfolks for part of my journey last Saturday.  I hope that you will join me too and share the wandering and site-seeing as well as some of the meditations.

I began in the afternoon from our kinhall and wandered around its grounds and rooms.  I remember when we first founded this Kinhall and the celebration and blessing we shared.  The joy is still echoing there.  I even paused to fish in the stream that runs in front of our grounds behind the gazebo where we first founded the Galadhrim Light Band.  What a joyous evening that was as we made music together into the night under the stars.

From there I wandered the hills and vales of Ered Luin with its elven buildings hanging like ornaments over cliffs and waterfalls.  Entering the Shire from Needlehole is perhaps not the loveliest of spots to start a journey through my beloved homeland, but it was a delight to be once more chased by those pesky gnats and listen to the endless frogs.  I confess that my trail led past many alehouses in the Shire where I found folk happy and busy.  They seemed completely unaware of the great danger that looms over us, and I smiled at thinking that this was good.  I would wish it were true everywhere that we could go about our lives and commerce without fearing the spreading evil from the East.  Finally, I downed one last mug at the Golden Perch and made my way by ferry to Buckland, fishing along the way and pausing for a rest here and there under tree and bough.

I had to stop in at the Old Forest to see if it had changed.  Though the darkness is no worse, still the forest is very angry.  The fair Goldberry welcomed me and together we ate some honey, biscuits, and fresh water.  Old Tom was still singing but remembered with me his timely rescue from the Great Barrow when I got a bit too deep inside.  Then I was off to visit Adso and his camp where I discovered a new stable.  How helpful that would have been to me in my early days.  A bunch of us used to meet there before heading into the dark barrows and fulfilling our promised quests.  We would sit by the campfire and smoke as we waited for the rest to join us.  Then with light hearts we tackled the Barrow Downs together.  How much sheer craziness and how much courage is still a mystery to me, but we did finish many a deed there together.  Finally, I set my sights on Bree, the strangest of towns with elves, dwarves, men and hobbits all gathered together.  Of course, I headed for the finest alehouse in Middle Earth, the Prancing Pony, where I paused for a rest and some music.

Although I had promised no questing, I just couldn't resist joining my kin for the Turtle Dance where we once more were victorious.  What a surprise that was to have old friends and kin with us.  Guardian Finnan joined us as did Tur Reava and several others.  We had a rousing time, and I again made a nuisance of myself with a few pranks and fireworks.  I remember a time when together we would stop after a battle and go straight to the Pony to chat, drink, and tell tales of our mighty battle.  Now it seems we just fade apart after a good fight without a bit of pipeweed or even a stout drink.  Ah times and folk change, I guess.

Returning to Bree I called on the Mayor and gave him our regards.  He remains concerned about the bandits in the area but is glad to hear we are all still alive and fighting, but he does wish that we would help more in Bree where times are a bit difficult.  Bandits have grown bolder and attack the town itself now.  I assured him that the Tinnu were aware of this and sent regular groups to fend off the attackers, and I especially helped defend the Pony.  This pleased him and he sent his thanks and blessings to you all.  From there I stopped by the cat lady who again was not in.  I fed her cats which seemed a good thing since they made such a din in her absence.  After a stop in the poorer sections where I dropped off some clothing and supplies, I headed north to Trestlebridge which is very hard pressed and under constant attack from goblins.  Though these peoples are pressed and their town burning, I found them in good cheer and strong. 

Finally, after a solid beginning and a very long walk, I reach Amon Raeth, not the quietest of places but filled with Rangers.  There I rest and will begin again my journey as soon as I am resupplied and able.  I have much to meditate upon.  My kinfolks shared many thoughts that give me reason to feel strong and hopeful about the future ahead of us.  I am still weary of the fighting but the simple joy of walking in the fields and talking with the people lighten my heart.  Also I do enjoy fishing for trout along the way.  I am heading first for Esteldin and there must decide whether to return to Evendim or go south.  I don't know yet.  But I do long to fish the frozen waters of Forochel again and exchange news with my good friends there in the great lodge at Suri Kyla.  We will see what unfolds.

Please join me for the next leg of this Journey of Renewal any time and for as long as you wish.  Your good company makes the time fly and the trail easy.

Cheers,
Digger

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »
My Beloved Kinfolks,

My Journey of Renewal has continued onward.  I spent the night and next day at Amon Raeth with the Rangers and elves who taught me several things about the area.  From there my journey went to Esteldin and its wonderful crafthall.  I spent several hours sewing for kin there and gathering the latest news of the area.  I did slip out east and along the mountains to visit the good Earthkin village where I was made most welcome and again heard encouraging tales of our struggles.  Finally, I headed southward to the elven village at the border of the North Downs.  In spite of the orc and troll incursions, that is a truly beautiful area of Eriador.

I spent several days fishing there and chatting with the elves and their endless singing and excellent hospitality.  They have built a small stable for travelers, but keeping to the spirit of my pilgrimage, I walked instead.  After some happy songs together, we said our goodbyes, and I made my way southward to the Midgewater Marshes.  The fishing is poor there but pleasant as long as I avoided the goblins and spiders and incessant gnats and neeker-breekers.  After what seemed much too long, I found myself on the East-West Road heading into the Lone Lands.  While much has changed there, one thing is still the same - the Foresaken Inn.  The roof is still collapsed, and the place is filthy as always.  The walk had given me such a thirst that I did have to try the swill.  It was also unchanged -awful and awful.  After the third cup of it, I confess it got better.  I spent the night there in the Inn on top of a box in the cellar.

Rising early in the morning, I walked onward to Weathertop and made the climb.  That view is simply breath-taking.  I could see as far as Bree and nearly to my next stop in Ost Goruth.  Along the way I noted that the orc and half-orc population is still too large for my tastes.  I kept quiet and slipped by them all without incident.  There was a moment with a large pack of wolves when I thought my hobbit quietness was discovered, but they passed by me.  It was close enough for me to touch them at one point, but I held my breath and waited.  When the pack was a good way beyond me, I again headed eastward along the great road.  The dust was simply everywhere - in my clothes, food and even in my water.  When I finally reached Ost Goruth and the small outpost beyond it, I was greatly relieved. 

I resupplied my drink, food and washed my clothes.  I just could not stay another day in those dry, parched lands.  After checking with a few friends there, I made my way on to the Last Bridge where I spent the evening fishing and resting.  By this time, my fishing flies were getting a bit ragged and I wondered if I would ever catch another trout, especially the illusive speckled trout.  I had no luck except for a few catfish and some trash fish.  So I packed up my gear, cinched my straps and headed into the Trollshaws.

How lovely are the Trollshaws!  I had forgotten the simple beauty of those woods.  Maybe it was the contrast with the Lone Lands, maybe it was just me, but somehow I found a quiet and beauty there that was very inviting.  I left the road and made my way cautiously past bears, wolves and trolls to Thorenhad.  It was here that I received a strange letter from the House of Elrond.  Apparently I was summoned to Imladris.  So without further waiting, I headed back to the main road and made my way across the Fords of Bruinen.  I confess that I made Lord Elrond wait just a bit while I fished in the cold waters of that lovely river.  Still no speckled trout.

I at long last and after several weeks arrived in Imladris.  The first time I saw that valley and sanctuary, it was at night under the stars and guided by my dear friend Orophor.  I was quite young and inexperienced, but the sight of Rivendell under the stars took my breath away.  This time, however, I arrived in the morning, and I was a much older and seasoned little hobbit.  Knowing how short and to the point Lord Elrond can be, I took time to wash out my clothes and eat a small snack or two before I went to the Last Homely House.  I was met by a messenger who took me to the Hall of Fires and Lord Elrond.  After a long discussion with him in his library (which my mentor Tarlwyn envies and loves), I found that my pilgrimage would have to be delayed.  Aragorn needed my assistance, and it was not something that could wait.

I spoke with a few of my kin about this only to discover that they too received a similar summons and were off to answer the call.  I could do no less than they, so I tucked my pilgrim things in the vault there, reset my armour and weapons, and fetched out my fighting songs and drum.  After some brief conversations in Rivendell for further details, I picked up my dear pony, Snowsong, at the stables and began my mission for Aragorn.  When this is done, then I will return to Imladris and continue my pilgrimage.

I will note that during my walks, I have enjoyed all of the wonderful conversations with my kinfolks and allies.  I learned a lot about what you enjoy too and what you wish for.  I even learned how Azhunter was beginning to enter the world of elven thinking and feeling.   Meryn sent me some pipeweed and delicious ale.  And others have shared thoughts and ideas that I treasure.  Thank you for this good company and wonderful kinship.  It means so much to me.  I will write again when my mission for Aragorn is finished.  Till then I remain,

Your humble hobbit,
Digger Goodsong