Author Topic: A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th  (Read 7926 times)

Calmegil

• View Profile
    • I sing most backup and lead on Windsong
Re: A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th??
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:01:38 AM »
I would think "Beat the Dwarf" would involve lots of ale and a rubber hose (for beatingthe Dwarf).

Kethrandir

• Administrator
  • Auta i lome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
I'm fairly certain my house chests are packed with various class quest items (Badges of Command, etc.) I've accumulated over the past 6 months.  They're of no use to me and there wasn't room in the kin chests when I received them.  No Runes or Slime, but they'd make a great prize/gift for someone!

Kethrandir and Co.
The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Kethrandir,

If you are willing to give these items for prizes, please send them on to me, and I will put them in our storage for the Gathering.  I think these are great prizes and are valued.  People are still needing to establish their reps and get a lot of these kinds of things.

Cheers,
Digger

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
So far we have Hosklar judging the Races, Thrilldonus judging fishing, and Mithasul judging the Fashion Show.  We also have Brianah helping with prizes and their distribution.  Anyone else care to lend a hand, please?

Digger

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
Here are my thoughts as they stand for our games and contests at the Gathering this Sunday:

1.  The Races - Main Judge: Hosklar
     a.  The All Shire Steeplechase - this will be the last and hardest race with one of the etched beryl jewelry items as the first prize.  I cannot give details until the start, but essentially it will be once around the racetrack and then off about the Shire to gather some special things and then back once more around the track to finish.  Second and third place prizes will also be given.
     b.  Beat-the-Dwarf - this will be a race around the track against Hosklar who will announce the rules (one of which will be /slap the dwarf)
     c.  Race for Gold - there will be at least one of these which is around the track once with no more than ten riders.  First prize is 1 gold coin.  Second and third prizes will be given.
     d.  Hobbit Footrace - this will be a barefoot footrace around the track in two laps - first lap will be backwards running and second lap face-forward running.  Prizes will be given for first, second, and third.

2.  Racing Bets - Main Bookies: Hosklar & Digger
     a.  All races will accept bets from non-contestants.  Since we have no advantages except for skills and cleverness, the odds and payoff on single horse bets To Win are simply 2:1 (eg. bet 1s and win 2s plus wager giving 3s total).  Limit of 1 gold per bet.  Digger and Hosklar will accept bets and make payoffs to the winners. 
     b.  Bets may be placed on winners alone or To Win, that is horse X to win at 2:1.  Or gamblers may select any 2 horses to win, Daily Double, at 1:1 odds (bet 1 and win 1 + wager giving 2).  Or gamblers may bet to Win, Place or Show (horse comes in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) on any single horse for 0.5:1 odds (bet 1 and win 0.5 + wager giving 1.5).

3.  Fishing Contests - Main Judge: Thrilldonus
     a.  Best Trophy Fisherman - Most fish trophies caught in one hour.  First place prizes.
     b.  Best Weed Catcher - Most weeds caught in one hour.  First place prizes.
     c.  Best All-Round Fisherman - most fish and trophies caught in one hour.  First prize will be an etched beryl jewelry item.  Second and third prizes will be given.
     d.  All fishing must occur within the pond at the racetrack grounds and only during the contest period.  No extra fish may be brought or caught during the contest.  Honor rules abide here.

4.  Fashion Show - Main Judge: Mithasul
     a.  Best-Dressed of Eriador - both males and females are eligible for this contest to find the best looking person in all of Eriador.  Garments should be outfits and will not be judged on any stats basis.  Armours may be used, of course. as long as folks understand that this is not about the quality attributes but only the appearance of the fashions.  First prize will be one of the etched beryl jewelry items with second and third prizes also given.
     b. Most Outrageous of Eriador - again males and females are eligible, and this is also outfits or costume appearance only (no stat values evaluated).  First prize will be 2 gold and second/third prizes are given.
     c. Judging of the fashions will be on the following categories:
CriteriaPointsComment
Coordination5How well garments match together
Color Choice5Use of color in garments
Elegance10The simplicity and lines of the outfit
Appearance10Overall look and how striking it is
Special Features10Whether beauty or comedic look, the creative use of garments to make this
     d. Runway Fashion Show - Judges will select five finalists in each category during the Gathering.  When selections are made, these finalists will walk the Runway for us all to see their fashions.  At that time, cheers and audience participation will be used to help the judges determine the final winners in each category.

5. Galadhrim Free Light Concert  - Band Leader: Aelanor
     a.  During the Gathering, we will pause between major events to enjoy the beautiful music from our own Band led by Aelanor.
     b.  All musicians are welcome to connect and join with Aelanor to prepare for this great concert.  If you want to play an instrument but are not sure how easy it is on autoplay, not only will Aelanor, Lady of Songs, teach you, but many of us in the kinship would be delighted to provide a quick lesson.  Most tunes for autoplay can be downloaded from FatLute.com.

6. The Remembering of the Tinnu uin Galadhrim - Tur Orophor & Digger
     a.  As is our tradition at all gatherings, we will close with a large circle of friends and kinfolks to remember those comrades no longer with us.  During this time, anyone may name a special friend now absent (temporarily or permanently) that they want to remember for some qualities that they gave to making the game a more enjoyable experience for everyone around them.
     b.  Rememberings are typically formed by simply stating 'I remember <name of friend> who <something about them that is special to you>'.  All are encouraged to join us as we remember those who came before and those who we miss now.

In summary, I do hope that these games will be enjoyable to all.  I still need more judges and folks to help.  At this time, we have prizes and are still gathering a few special things.  But we have no FOOD and DRINK and PIPEWEED for our guests.  So I still need volunteers for these and for hosting to welcome folks.  If you can lend a hand, please let me know here or in-game Friday next.

And please do let me know what you think of the games and how they can  be improved or added to.

Cheers,
Digger Goodsong
for Lilly and the Shire

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »
Master Digger:

You have outdone yourself.  This outline and all the rules is great.  Well done!

and thanks for the effort.

Mithasul and Co.

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:08 AM »
I really like the outline Digger.  I think it will be lots of fun and can't wait for it all to happena :D

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:59 AM »
Each of the Main Judges are encouraged to have one or more other folks help them.  I believe there are several people who would lend you a hand with this.  Let me know who else you have helping, please.

Prizes for your events should be picked up on Friday from me.  Just see me online and I will guide you to the distribution.  You will, unfortunately, have to store these items until the Gathering.  I would think that one bag should hold enough for your events, but I look to you for an exact count.  Mainly, we have fine jewelry items at all levels (think coming new character alts needs here) made by our dear Irreth for these prizes in addition to the special items Mithasul gathers and Calmegil has made.  I must see you Friday for this to avoid the awful delays we had last time getting ready.

Cheers,
Digger

Fireborn

• Craft-house Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun.  I hope to see you folks on Sunday!

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Master Fireborn! 

So good to hear from you.  I shall look forward to seeing you there.  And do tell Aelanor that you will bring your instrument.  She will need band members to play.

Cheers,
Digger

Aelanor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
This should be a fun time and a wonderful reunion for some old friends we haven't seen in quite a while... (looking at Fireborn, especially).  It would be nice to get a few of our Galadhrim Free Light Band together to play a few songs for the get together, so let's plan on getting together Thursday night at 8PM EST (7PM central, 6PM mountain etc).  We will play songs that we already know are well loved by our kin and friends, and it won't be a long concert because we would like to mingle and play games too!  But a little music lightens the heart of any gathering. 
Aelanor

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 06:08:49 AM »
Aelanor, Lady of Songs,

We will pause between events so folks can listen and play music without missing anything.  I am looking forward to hearing the Band again.

Digger

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Last Minute Help! A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Two things for the Gathering this Sunday:

First, we need refreshments and don't have any right now.  Can someone volunteer to get some ale, food and pipeweed and bring it for folks to the Gathering?

Second, all Main Judges should pick up their prizes for their events tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 24.  Contact me or Tarlwyn in-game and I will give you what you need.  We have lots of prizes and grand prizes, so you will need about one bag to hold them all until the party.

Whew!  This has been a very busy preparation for this Gathering, but I think if we can get all of these things done ahead of time like this, you and everyone will have more time for fun at the Gathering.

Cheers,
Digger

Kethrandir

• Administrator
  • Auta i lome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
Meryn (Endingwen's renowned Champion alt) is a GM Cook and has volunteered her expertise to help provide ales and snacks.  She's not sure she has any of the festival recipes, but her standard menu is mighty tasty!  Any special requests or amounts?

Kethrandir and Co., on behalf of Endingwen and Co.
The House of Keth:  Kethrandir (HTR), Kerephor (MNS), Kethuthir (WDN), Kethras (LM), Kethorin (GRD), Baema (CPT), Borage (BRG)

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
Meryn and Kethrandir,

Oh thank you so much.  I was beginning to worry, well I was worrying.  Now we have some refreshments.  For snacks those tarts are wonderful and folks really can use them too if they are blackberry.  And for drinks, any wine and ale will do nicely, I think.  Some, especially our elven kindred, prefer light wines while our dwarven folk like their strong ales.  Your call here.

Now can some wonderful farmer provide pipeweed?

Again, thank you so very much.  I know we will enjoy your cooking tremendously.

Cheers,
Digger