Author Topic: A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th  (Read 7927 times)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
My Beloved Kinfolks and Friends,

As the Fall winds blow cool weather our way and our thoughts turn to Moria, the time has come to gather together and celebrate our kinship.  For many of us, we have met each other many times, but for others some folks have never been in your good company.  We all have so much to do and so little time to .... (no, scratch that, Willy Wonka says).  Let's have a PARTY!

I am planning a great big party this time with so many fun events and games to play.  But I do need your thoughts to guide my racing, bubbling stew of ideas.  Help me with some basic decisions, please.

1) Venue? I do like our kinhall and that is a favorite spot for our gatherings.  However, the new race track in the Shire is really handy and gives us a chance for having races.  Plus that venue also offers us a pond for fishing contests.  So where do we gather?  Kinhall?  Or Shire Racetrack?

2) Prizes?
I think you all have fun crafting prizes, but we are getting up there now and it is a challenge to make anything as a prize that folks might value. So, I want to suggest that we gather things like rep items and make costumes like outfits and special looking armours instead of real stat things for use.  We can make gowns and good looking breastplates and other such things.  And we can gather up those rep items for Rivendell, Forochel, and Bree and Shire that some are still missing.  Any other prize ideas?

3) Games?  I am going to make a Gathering for us where we can go from one event to the next but not quite the full carnival idea of earlier.  I am thinking of several things concurrently - Races of all kinds (horse, pony, foot) at the racetrack in the Shire, fishing contests (most trophies, biggest fish count, most weeds/gunk), and maybe even some emote contests.  Also, we seemed to enjoy riddles and the time is coming when we go deep to the place of the first ME riddle by Bilbo.  Do you want riddles?  Let me hear your thoughts, please.

4) Date/Time?
Seems like October is natural for this kind of Gathering.  How about 10/26 Sunday?  Friday night gatherings might interfere with other events, but Sunday evenings could work.  What do you think?

Those are my puzzles for now.  Make no mistake though, WE WILL PARTY!  Come one and come all to a GREAT GATHERING OF THE GALADHRIM!

Cheers,
Digger Goodsong
the Phierce Phantom Hobbit
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:50:58 AM by Digger »

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Gathering of Our Kin! Oct 26th??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
Hello Out There.....

I can see that folks are reading this announcement about our Gathering, but I haven't a single reply to help me out yet.  I really would appreciate your ideas and thoughts on these questions so we can have great time.

This Gathering of the Galadhrim is likely our last one before we turn our adventures towards the south and follow our band of heroes on their long journey through Moria to Lothlorien.  Let's make this last Gathering one of our biggest and best.  Lend me your ideas, please.

Digger

Calmegil

• View Profile
    • I sing most backup and lead on Windsong
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Master Digger, I would like to offer my services to help with this grand event.  let me know what I can do to help you!

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
Thank you, my friend, Calmegil,

Let me ask you a question since you have helped and attended most of these gatherings.  Would you rather be at the kinhall or the Shire Racetrack for this party?

Cheers,
Digger

Calmegil

• View Profile
    • I sing most backup and lead on Windsong
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
I like the racetrack as we have had a couple gatherings at the kinhall and not all our friends can easily get there.  Any hunter can bring folks from our allied kinships to Michel Delving.

Mithasul

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
Master Digger:

Just a quick point, if we do it in the Racetrack we give our kinship more visibility.
Additionally we can do everything but use the keg in the racetrack area.

OH ... Yes Master Digger I am at you disposition for anything you need for the party.

Salud!

Mithasul

Orophor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tinnu uin Galadhrim
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
The racetrack on the 26th suits me fine. As always old friend, should you need anything you have but to ask.

O

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37:53 AM »
Oh thank you one and all.  Your words encourage me to even more madness for this event.  I have not yet decided what the special event will be, but I do have some ideas for a really crazy fun activity.  Meanwhile, I am almost firm about having a Fashion Show with prizes for the best and worst dressed people.  Right now I am in process of making the judging criteria for that. 

For races, I am thinking two kinds - foot and horse/pony.  The Horse Races are straight-forward with some opportunity for folks to bet on the favorites and win coins from the track bookies.  Foot races around the track should be more spirited and so I am thinking a big footrace with two laps and other tasks in between.  Final race would be the All-Shire Steeplechase.  That one will be once around the track to start and once again to finish while in-between those laps racers have a little quest to perform that will take them out across the Shire by any route they can figure in a real helter-skelter run-around.

With that going on, we can hold Fishing Contests of all varieties.  Right now I am thinking of one fishing contest that lasts maybe 30 mins and prizes for all sorts of catches including simply most fish caught but also a prize for most boots/axes/swords and one for most weeds/gunk.

So that just leaves me to figure out a crazy event/contest where everyone plays together.  This time I am thinking of something that people would do in teams of 3 rather than individually.  Not sure of what exactly, but I am stewing and brewing here.

Finally, my next question is simply about PRIZES. ???  What ideas do you have for prizes?  I know that if I offered a Winged Dominance prize, folks would be all over it.  So that line of thinking may be fruitful.  Is the Slime of Helchgam bound?  That's another one everybody wants.  What are some other things people would like to win?  I think armour and weapons are not a big deal anymore since so many of us have what we want.  Help please.  I know our folks like gathering and making stuff for these prizes.  What?  Superior Lembas?  Ointments?  Scrolls?  Are these at all attractive?

I sure do appreciate your thoughts on Prizes if you can send them along.

Digger
the Phierce Phantom Hobbit

Staffen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 01:39:28 AM »
Master Digger,

I believe all the class-quest items do not bind on aquire. I know that at least the Slime of Helchgam (curse you, slime!) does not because they are in the auction hall all the time. They would make great prizes, for sure, especially if there is going to be a "first prize" > "second prize" > "third prize" scenario. The Slime or the Wing would definitely make stunning first prizes.

Some other ideas for miscellaneous prizes might be just crafting items or materials? A quick run around Angmar can yield a few beryl shards. People always like beryl shards; I use to hoard them in my trunks like a stingy dwarf - why? I think I just liked knowing I had them! Even if they don't get used they can be sold for a good amount in the auction hall. For those simply working on their crafting tiers, maybe a stack or two or ore/hides/wood/gems? I don't see why the prizes should always have to be unique or otherwise out of the ordinary. Rep items are a good idea as well; good thinking! Some other neat prizes might be house-hold decorations or trophies; the cave troll head comes to mind.

Yours,

Staffen and Alfrun of Dale, One and a Half Bear Wrestlers

Brianah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 07:03:10 AM »
Digs! *hugs* If you need help with anything for this gathering let me know.
I think Sunday is a good idea  :)

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »
Fairest Brianah,

I will need lots of help for this Gathering, our last before heading south.  Right now, Mithasul is getting together a Great Hunt for resources for our prizes.  Please give him a hand doing that.

I will be posting and accepting volunteers to help at the party in a week or so.  Prizes are the big ticket items now.  And we need really tough things for those. 

Thanks so much,
Digger

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
My Kinfolks and Friends,

By now you all know that we are struggling to gather the needed resources for Calmegil to craft several Etched Beryl items for prizes.  We have two so far, and hopefully we can get several more.  We mostly need recipes - those for the polished beryl jewelry items (one-shots) and we are badly needing those for GM Jeweler's Journal to increase Cal's chances of making Etched versions.  These seem very rare one-shot recipes.  Please help hunt for these as you can.  Mithasul is organizing several hunts to gather materials.

Now we also need some big items like Helechgam's Slime and the Ruined Wing of Dominance.  This means we will have to gather teams together and take these challenges on.  If you can join a team to do this, let Mithasul know when and he will arrange things.

Finally, it wouldn't be a Gathering without refreshments.  So I am looking for some good cooks to make us refreshments - muffins, ales, and other goodies.  And farmers we need really good pipeweed for our guests as well.  Please let me know if you are making these items.

Hold onto refreshment items you make until we get a list of folks who will help host the Gathering.

Thanks for all your help so far.  This is our last great Gathering before we head south to Moria and Eregion and beyond.  So let's make this one truly a fun time.

Digger Goodsong
a party-loving hobbit

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Help Needed for Our Gathering of the Galadhrim! Oct 26th
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Tinnu uin Galadhrim and Friends:

As we continue our efforts to get the resources and recipes for the PRIZES in the games of our Gathering, it is now time to begin gathering volunteers to help during the fun.  We need folks to run the games and conduct the events.  Here is a list of the roles we need:

Fashion Judges: 3 folks with a sense of style and verve
Fishing Contest Judges:  2 people to announce and judge the fishing contests (3 categories here)
Racing Judges: 2 people to announce and judge the 3 track races and the All Shire Steeplechase

Prize-Keepers: 2 people who can store and distribute our precious prizes to winners
Hostess/Host: 3 people to pass out refreshments and greet guests

Musicians:  Lots of folks who will help Aelanor, the Lady of Songs, with the Band Concert

None of these roles will take long or involve much work, but each is very important to a good Gathering.  Please let me know here or by mail in-game which role you would like to take and lend a hand to our last Gathering before we head south to Moria and beyond.

Meanwhile, let's continue to aid Mithasul and his wonderful determination to gather such fabulous PRIZES.  Our thanks to Calmegil for crafting some of these like the Etched Beryl jewelry for the winners.  I will write more about the contests as time grows closer.

Cheers and Thanks,
Digger
a party-lovin' hobbit

Thrilldonus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
As always, I am most up to lend my musical talents for anyone to enjoy, and if scheduling permits would be available to judge an event.

Hosklar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
I wouldn't mind officiating some of the Race horses.  I was also formulating an idea along the lines of "Beat the Dwarf"

Someone would make a bet against me, and on the starting line, when the word is given, we would have to drink a pint of ale and race around the track.  If I win, I keep the bet, if the other wins I pay out 2-1.  I think something like this could be lots of fun...