Author Topic: Falathlorn Day  (Read 4519 times)

Tuiliel

• View Profile
Falathlorn Day
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »
Greetings! If any of you have been following my housing posts, you may have noticed an interesting comment from a fellow player: someone mentioned that players don't hang out in the neighborhoods because Turbine won't invest in making the housing system better, and Turbine won't invest in making the housing system better because players don't hang out in the neighborhoods. So how do we generate interest in making the neighborhoods a fun, social place to spend time? What else--PARTY!

I have declared Sunday, September 19th Falathlorn Day. If this works we will rotate around other homesteads. Pick any time on Sept. 19 to go to any Falathlorn neighborhood and do something--anything. Grab some friends and take a walking tour. Go fishing. Host a dinner party. Give a concert under a gazebo. Get the kin together and play hide and seek or do a scavenger hunt. One player suggested a roaming dinner party--everyone picks a time to be at their house to hand out pies and ale, and people tour around. The possibilities are endless. Show off your beautiful landscaping! Meet your neighbors! This is a multi-server event, and we're trying to get as much attention as possible to get players to use housing as a RP and social environment. The idea is to get out of your house and spend more time in the neighborhood than you usually do when you're grabbing something from your housing chests.

I will do an event at my house on Haven Way in Iavasant, but if we could also get something going at the kin house too, that would be fantastic. I'll have pipeweed, ale, and housewarming gifts, some new songs to play, and maybe some game ideas. I'll wait to hear from Tinnu leadership if they're interested in doing a kin event before I set a time for mine. If you are interested in hosting an event, big or small, let me know and I'll add it to the schedule, which I'll post on my MyLotro page a few days before the 19th. I hope to see you on the 19th!

--Tuiliel
Tuiliel, Lady of the Silver Arrow

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
Re: Falathlorn Day
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
Our Fairest Tuiliel,

You are right!  It is time for another of our famous parties.  Okay, now we need to do this in September and give folks warnings.  Then we need an agenda.  Digger is worn out from his old dusty ideas of games.  Perhaps you have some to suggest.  I know it isn't near our kinhall, but playing tag in the Bree fairgrounds is really fun with a large group.  We will need some prizes, of course.  And we need hosts and hostesses to greet folks and give them gifts and refreshments.  I have been saving fireworks just for this and have now over a hundred to set off and give away.

I am open to ideas for the agenda and will ask folks when is best for them. Most likely it will be a Sunday evening but early in the evening.  9pm est is too late.  Maybe we could make it around 6pm est then our foreign guests could attend too.

Great chance for new members to meet their kin and for us to say welcome in person.

Cheers,
Digger
a humble hobbit

Tuiliel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
Wow--the LOTRO community never ceases to amaze me. My simple idea of picking a day to hang out in the housing neighborhoods has turned into something of a movement. I've been told it's even going to be discussed on the next episode of Casual Stroll to Mordor's podcast!  So here are my personal details for Falathlorn Day: I will be holding a party at 3-4 pm EST on Sept 19. The address is 7 Haven Way in the Iavasant neighborhood. I will set up a scavenger hunt (how many houses have a goblin statue in the front yard? what is the address of the house with 3 hobbit hedge sculptures, etc.) for prizes, open my house for a tour, perform some new tunes (and hopefully get my guests to do the same), and offer fine elven hospitality to all. My house is near a beautiful stream perfect for an afternoon of fishing if you are so inclined, and if you have a love of photography, I'm going to have a MyLotro Falathlorn photo contest for your screenshots. I hope you all can come, and that you will spread the word to friends. And if any of you want to join in on the action and set up a home tour, party, or other event on the 19th, Harperella (of Ales and Tales fame on Landroval) has set up a signup page on the Lorebook: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Falathlorn_day

Thanks to all for helping us show some love to the housing system!

Tuiliel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
Now, I know you’re all thinking that Falathlorn Day is the greatest event created since second breakfast. But many of you don’t have the time to plan a big party, and for some folks real life will get in the way of participating on September 19.

“So tell us, Lady Tuiliel most wise (and stunningly beautiful), whatever shall we do?”

I’m so glad you asked.

Introducing the Falathlorn Art Contest! Enter your screenshots and other artistic creations inspired by the Falathlorn Homesteads to win glory and renown throughout Middle Earth!

The rules:
Judging will be in two categories: Screenshots and Original Artistic Works. Screenshots must be taken inside Falathlorn Homesteads. Original Artistic Works are photos of drawings, paintings, sculpture, craft projects, etc. created (by you) outside of the game that must represent some aspect of the Falathlorn Homesteads.

To enter: Post your entry or entries on a MyLotro page, and send me a message with the link (send message on my.lotro.com/whart). Links to other websites besides MyLotro will not be opened. Enter as many images as you like.

Deadline: Contest runs from September 4 through September 30.

Prize: One winner in each category will be memorialized in song with an original poem by the judge (me). I will create a post with links to all entries after the contest closes.

Judging will be done entirely by the Lady Tuiliel, most wise (and stunningly beautiful), and is entirely subject to her own personal opinion. She likes pink, and waterfalls, and most especially scenes of large numbers of people enjoying themselves in their Falathlorn neighborhood.
 Good luck!

Tuiliel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
I do not know if the formatting on this will work, but here is what I've posted on my MyLotro blog. I trust this site a bit more than MyLotro right now!

Falathlorn Day was a wonderful success on both Nimrodel and Landroval. The weather was perfect for an afternoon outside. The branches heavily laden with rosy blossoms gently swayed in the breeze. The sunlight danced on the pink and white petals and across the laughing streams.

We started by meeting at the kinship home of Tinnu uin Galadhrim. The guests exchanged gifts of pipeweed, ale, pies, household decorations, and scrolls. The entire group was dressed in the most stylish fashions: our leader Orophor in beautiful robes of gold, Perigard in a colorful waistcoat, and Tuiliel in Falathlorn pink, just to name a few. Master Goodsong and Lady Tuiliel entertained the crowd with song. We were most fortunate to be joined by friends Linett, Gaiagil, and Doldaegr, great writers of Middle Earth.

We soon moved on to the first open house at the home of Lady Tuiliel. There was music, dancing, a roaring campfire, a tour of the house, and a most beautiful poem in honor of Falathlorn Day written by Lady Gaiagil (I shall link to it here as soon as it is posted—it was truly a marvel!). Some guests participated in a scavenger hunt, searching around the neighborhood to answer questions (congratulations to 1st and 2nd place winners Linett and Doldaegr!), while the rest enjoyed the provisions laid out on the feasting table. As the group gathered again, Beyard shared his lovely musical talent.

The event closed with a spectacular fireworks display, and then we all headed over to Linett’s for the next home tour.

I must say that Casual Stroll to Mordor should write one of its decorating features about Linett’s home. The décor is fresh and simple, yet homey and welcoming.  A graceful touch with color as well. The gracious hostess gave us a pleasant tour and entertained us with one of my favorite stories about Ant, Spider, Slug, and Spinach.

We then went outside to enjoy the crisp cool evening. Linett had one of the best party ideas ever: synchronized fireworks! We tried many different configurations: partners, domino effect, and all at once facing in and out of the circle. Each formation was beautiful in its own way. I think we need to try this at Ales and Tales!

A splendid time was had by all, and the Tinnu were most fortunate to add Linett and Gaiagil to their kin! After the festivities on Nimrodel, several of us joined the Lonely Mountain Band’s open house on Landroval, where Morrdraug (Tuiliel's son's character) and Orophor were recruited into the kin (I am noticing a cross-server alliance between the Tinnu and the LMB—kindred spirits unite!). Morrdraug had too much ale as usual (and as a result failed to take any pictures, so I hope someone else will post some!), but he enjoyed the music and the company of many lovely ladies before the Sinister Keg did him in and he awoke somewhere in Angmar (sigh). Even Ursa his lovable bear could not resist joining the fun (and she is trying not to be offended by questions about her being housebroken). Ursa is now off to rescue Morrdraug from the Iron Crown and help him recover his pants, and she is anxiously awaiting her opportunity to tell him once again, “I told you so!”

The next worldwide housing event will be announced soon: feel free to send me ideas for the next homestead to feature! A million thanks to all of you who made this idea a reality! Look for more posts on my page, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, for further information and future events.

Speaking of pictures, do not forget the Falathlorn Photo and Art Contest. Send me links to your screenshots and original artwork (I know there are artists out there who can capture the wonders of Falathlorn in sculpture, painting, music, video, etc.) by October 10, and I will honor the winners by immortalizing them in a unique poem.

Thanks again to all who helped make this idea a great success, and I hope to meet many more of my neighbors in future events! The wonderful support of this community may even get me writing again, despite the challenges. Long live the housing revolution!

Edited by Orophor: Changed the html tags to BBtags
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:37:22 PM by Orophor »

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
Fairest Tuiliel,

Well, little lady, you did us proud and made a cheerful gathering for folks from all over, even Landroval.  Such a pleasure to see so many people enjoying the camaraderie of their fellows.  You are indeed the Mistress of Gatherings, and we are all and each grateful to you. 

Perhaps a Fall Gathering is in order.  Do you know how to dance the Ritual of Turnings?  This is a simple dance that marks the passing of one season to another.  Perhaps we could find appropriate music and learn this dance together?  Would it not be marvelous to mark each season with a rite of dance and song?  However, though I know little of these ancient elven ways, I remember Tarlwyn telling me that it must be done under the stars when we have the blessings of Varda at their greatest.

Hantale,
Digger Goodsong
a simple hobbit

Tuiliel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
Please find here the Falathlorn Day poem written and recited by our great Quenya poetess Gaiagil for our celebration:
http://my.lotro.com/user-918946/2010/09/22/a-poem-in-quenya-lirin-falathlorno/

I shall let her know about our warrior poet's corner. It is a joy to welcome such a creative spirit to our kinship!

Regarding the autumn ritual, I confess I have been far removed from my kindred for many centuries of your time. Long have I fought the Shadow alone in the Wilds, until I found myself with the most welcoming friends of late. Therefore, I have only the most vague memories of such matters. I shall see what I can discover about this, but possibly Tarlwyn could be of great assistance. I will research appropriate music for such an occasion.

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
Tuiliel,

Tarlwyn knows the dance that is done by his folk from before they followed the Lady Galadhriel to Lothlorien.  He says that he would be delighted to teach anyone who wants to learn.  It is a simple circle walking dance that enjoys a slow tune.  I shall let him describe it further.  I do know that each season, whether alone or with others, he marks the turning with this same dance.

Cheers,
Digger

Gaiagil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Again, thank you for the warm welcome and for the many compliments on my first attempt at writing poetry in quenya!

I wrote up the Falathlorn day activities too. Here's my post. http://my.lotro.com/user-918946/2010/09/23/falathlorn-day-a-cross-server-extravaganza/

I also submitted to the Fair Tuiliel's Photo and art contest. Here's a link to that post:
http://my.lotro.com/user-918946/2010/09/24/falathlorn-day-photo-and-art-contest/

Enjoy!
Gaiagil

Linett

• Linett Redfern of Bree ~ Ranna Dylin on My.LOTRO
    • View Profile
    • Linett's Lore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »
Greetings kinfolk! What fun it was, going from house to house for Falathlorn Day - across 3 servers, even! It was delightful meeting many of you and I am excited to now be a part of the Tinnu. After three years going solo, it was high time for Linett to settle down in a kinship and it looks like this one will suit her well. Thank you Tuiliel for establishing Falathlorn Day, and thank you all for your kind welcome!

And now that My.LOTRO is also settling down somewhat, and my blog posts have returned from the void, you can read my account of Falathlorn Day at: http://my.lotro.com/user-560856/2010/09/19/a-beautiful-day-in-the-falathlorn-neighbourhoods/ Enjoy! :-)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:04:20 AM by Linett »

Linett

• Linett Redfern of Bree ~ Ranna Dylin on My.LOTRO
    • View Profile
    • Linett's Lore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Perhaps a Fall Gathering is in order.  Do you know how to dance the Ritual of Turnings? 

This sounds like a great idea. I am always up for learning new dances!

Gaiagil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
Good news, friends!

I have taken my poem for Falathlorn day and made it a song. A friend, Lindorieh, and I will be playing it at Ales & Tales tonight. This one is at the Bounders Museum o' Shire Antiquities in the Shire Homesteads: 5 Harrow Road, Addernotch.

I'd love to see any of you there!
Gaiagil