Author Topic: More usefull sindarin phrases  (Read 12138 times)

Cutholen

• View Profile
More usefull sindarin phrases
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
Digger has already linked to an excellent source of elvish phrases.  The site I preffer because of its more extensive phrase list is http://tara.istad.org/sind-phrases.htm

However, even that site is fairly limited.  It is true that it will allow us to say well met (Mae govannen) but also well come (Mae tollen), or even welcome back (Mae athollen).  It even allows us to say in farewell "May the leaves of your life tree never wither" (Pelo nalú i laiss en-Galadh Guil lín).  But it does not allow us to say "Hello my kin"  ("Suilad nothrim nin" or "Le suilon nothrim e tinnu uin galadhrim" *)

As I don't speak sindarin, but wish to use sindarin phrases in Cutholen's speach for role playing purposes, I find that restrictive.

As a result I have often thought of preparing a more extensive phrase listing for sindarin.  As, this summer, I have been blessed by my daughter who wishes to learn sindarin over the summer holidays, I thought now was a good time to start.  As preperation, I would love suggestions of usefull phrases to include in the list.  Suggestions should include both shorter pithier sayings that we may all learn to recognise without looking them up such as most of us now do for "Mae govannen", but also longer more flowery phrases in keeping with  the elvish fondness for elaborate greetings and fare wells.

Initially I will restrict the phrases to Sindarin, if only because Cutholen still observes Elu Thingol's ban on the use of quenya.

Tom

*  these phrases mean respectively "greetings my kin (members)" and "greetings to you, kin of the tinnu uin galadhrim", only don't quote me on it as I don't know sindarin, and may have made a mistake ;)

Hosklar

• View Profile
Re: More usefull sindarin phrases
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
If you could translate this into Sindarin it would be much appreciated...

"Digger, how did you get lost again, there was only 1 way to go  ::)"

Cutholen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
Unfortunatley that one may not be possible.  Tolkien only developed a limited word list for Sindarin, and "lost" does not appear to be on it.

I may be able to translate "Digger, how did you find a bent path to an unknown place - there was only one path to follow" :)

Digger

• Global Moderator
  • Aiyee, tis a hobbit's life for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
"Digger meren."

Cutholen, if you haven't already found Dragon Flame, I recommend it though it is now archived.  It can be found at http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/archive.html.  I once found some Sindarin Courses, but I haven't finished them yet.  Here is the link: http://khallandra.tripod.com/sindarin/

Thank you for doing this, and I hope that some small useful phrases work into our kinship vocabulary.  These are my standard new language phrases for traveling.  Perhaps they might be a starting point:

• Please
    Thank you
    Yes
    No
    Bathroom
    Hello (greetings)
    Good day
    Good night
    Good
    Bad
    Nice
    I'm sorry
    I am grateful
    Delicious
    Not for me

Digger
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:26:57 AM by Digger »

Cutholen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the link to the sindarin course.  For what it is worth, my daughter and I will be using the sindarin course found here:  www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/.../pedin_edhellen_en.pdf.gz
However, I am sure additional material will be helpful, particularly as my mental approach to languages is somewhat analogous to a wrecking ball.  (Fortunately my daughter is quite talented in that area.)
We may also be consulting the Sindarin course at the Council of Elrond: http://www.councilofelrond.com/user.php
We will definitely be consulting the information on Sindarin at Ardalimbion: http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sindarin.htm
Ardalimbion has been my source of information on archaic elvish languages as used in my back story.
Finally, we will also definitely be consulting Hislewoke's dictionary, to which you linked above.  That should provide sufficient resources for my daughter and me, not to mention for anyone who wishes to correct my inevitable errors :)  Such correction, by the way, would be greatly appreciated.

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:28 AM »
Cutholen & Daughter,

I cannot keep up, but learning this language is a task I have put off too long now.  While I know phrases here and there, what I need now is the syntax structures - declinations, conjugations, etc.  Plus my vocabulary is light.  So I plan to tag along on your trail though miles behind you, of course.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Digger
of Goodsong Manor

Gaiagil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
If you could translate this into Sindarin it would be much appreciated...

"Digger, how did you get lost again, there was only 1 way to go  ::)"

Aiya,
I realize you have all moved on from this topic, but the puzzle of translating this caught my eye and intrigued me. I am studying Quenya in depth, but Sindarin is next on my list of languages to conquer, so I have some experience with it. Here is my stab at this translation.

Digger, man carant admisto ci? Erbâd aphado.

I had to play with this a bit as there's no word for "lost"; there's not really a word for "how"; and there's no construction like "There was." So here's my gloss.

Digger, what caused you to stray? [There was] only one path/way to follow.

As I understand the language, a construction like "there was" would be implied as I have done here.

Any suggestions or corrections would be appreciated. This is an attempt from a novice!
Gaiagil

Digger

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Blessings upon you for this little gem.  Time was when I was so busy touring (even in the Rift) that I would forget to keep up with the rushing crowd.  When I looked up, I was alone in a dangerous place.  Teasing me about 'getting lost' was lots of fun, and I did eventually learn to keep up.  But I still enjoy just looking around these places.  There is so much to see and appreciate.  I don't mind being lost.

Digger

Gaiagil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »
I understand completely, Digger.

My husband is like this in real life. Whenever we go hiking, he always says "I wonder what's on the other side of that ridge?" and we never stop until I say it's time to go. He would keep hiking into the sunset if I let him. In game, he often goes and gets himself lost in dangerous places by following that same principle. It's precious to watch. And, it's a good thing that Gaiagil on that server is level 60 and can rescue him!

Gaiagil